Thread: Australian Police Check -Fingerprints?

Question Australian Police Check -Fingerprints?

Hi all,

I have just received my ITA for the Skilled Migrant Category.

The first thing I need to start applying for is the police checks and I need to complete an Australian one as I spent two years working there on a WHV. I am confused as to whether I need to submit a fingerprint as it doesnt clearly state if its needed for immigration purposes. My friend completed one but he said it wasn't needed, however he only spent 1 year in Australia so maybe that is why it wasn't needed.

Can anyone advice the best action to take? I would like to apply for it as soon as possible but dont want to experience any delays.

Many thanks,

L

It is a mandatory requirement (see R2.40) for first time applicants for a residence class visa aged 17 and over to obtain a police or similar certificate from:
    the applicant's country of citizenship; and
    each country in which the applicant has lived for 12 months or more (whether on one visit or intermittently) in the last 10 years (but see A5.10.1).
    Applicants for a further residence class visa under RV2 or RV4 will not usually need to submit a police or similar certificate, unless specifically asked to by an immigration officer. Applicants for a further residence class visa applying under any other category are required to submit a police or similar certificate as if they were applying for residence for the first time.

Specific procedure to get a police certificate for Australia

Applicants residing within Australia

Download forms and apply for a Police Certificate - Fingerprint Check from the Australian Federal Police, or request forms by post from:

Australian Federal Police
    Criminal Records - National Police Check AFP Criminal Records
    Locked Bag 8550
    CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601
    Phone: (02) 6202 3333

Australian Federal Police

Applicants outside Australia

Apply for a Police Certificate - Fingerprint Check from the Australian Federal Police and request forms from the same address as above.

Once forms are received, a certified set of fingerprints taken by an authorised provider overseas will be required along with the completed forms to return to the Australian Federal Police.

A fee is payable in Australian dollars.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for this information!

I was under the assumption that I would need a fingerprint unless requested by a case officer. I have read the instructions for applying and it seems its a costly and timely process. Apparently it can take a while to obtain an appointment here in Wellington to get the fingerprints done and do I need to request the forms to be mailed to me?

They have a downloadable one online but I am guessing that cant be used? The online form seems so much more quicker but if I do that then will it get rejected by immigration if I don't supply the fingerprints?

Regards,

L

As per the INZ instructions above, you do need an Australian Fingerprint Check. They cant be done online.

You need to download the offline application for m, get a bank draft for AUD99 and post that and other required documents with fingerprints taken by NZ Police to Canberra. Yes they may be a wait (and a cost) to get the prints taken in Wellington.

I think the AFP are currently taking around 30 days to provide the result.

Thanks Chris!

Looks like I just have to suck it up and pay the extra $ to get these

Fingers crossed I wont be waiting too long for a check!

Regards,

L

if you can goto Auckland, you can get them done in Manukau or Wellesley street post office. its $50 I think and you only have to wait a couple of days for an appointment

Quote Originally Posted by newkiwi101 View Post
    if you can goto Auckland, you can get them done in Manukau or Wellesley street post office. its $50 I think and you only have to wait a couple of days for an appointment
    Thanks for that, I read about this somewhere but looks like I wont be in auckland for a while. Shame, as it seems very quick and I hope it wont take too long in Wellington to book an appointment. I will try to inquire on the 4th of January and lets hope it wont be delayed with people being on holiday leave!

Hi ChrisMwn,

I have an appointment today booked to get fingerprints in Wellington.

On the website though it seems to say that all applicants overseas need to contact AFP directly so does that mean I need a different form from the dowloadable offline one? i Need the fingerprints section signed also so dont want to fill in the wrong form.

Also in Section 8 purpose of check which box do I tick as mines is for NZ immigration purposes? It seems to just cater for applicants residing in Australia so am I missing something here?

Regards,

L

I've always just printed the offline form and ticked the purpose at section 8, as "35- overseas employment/visa."

There's a phone number to ring if you want to check

Thanks Chris,

I dont have enough space on the address section as I moved around quite a bit when I was living there, so I assume its ok to add an extra blank page for the addresses?

If I have time during work, then I will try and call them

Regards,

L