Thread: Jobs in New Zealand

Question Jobs in New Zealand

Hello,

I got my New Zealand Resident VISA (Skilled Migrant) approved.
    I am IT Project Manager and currently working in US.
    I had started applying for jobs in NZ.
    How easy / difficult to find an opportunity in NZ being in USA (having approved Visa)?

It's almost always easier to find a job if you're in the country in person. NZ employers value being able to look someone in the eye and shake their hand.

You could try that Sankarl. I know there are 2 professions that defys odds of getting it even when you are not on land. One is Civil / Structural Engineering, the other is IT (subjected to the programming knowledge that you are skilled with). Just try for about 3-4mths since you have got 1 year to activate the visa by landing in NZ. If you have got no reply assuming that you have done all due diligence, you know that you have to be on the ground in NZ then like what JandM mentioned.

As quoted by JandM & Kenwongyl, it is not difficult to crack once you are physically present in NZ especially for Project Managers. In some cases candidates from offshore are offered jobs after having skype/phone interviews but these are for niche skills on IT.

Bro, I just got my PR approved and I am currently working as a structural engineer in US. I have got 4 years experience in the industry. Here I am looking for some others' experience with similar background ending up with getting decent job within short time, of course, after landing in NZ.

I am not concerned about getting a job there but would be more confident if somebody has some real stories to share with people like me.