Thread: Cange job after residency approved

Default Cange job after residency approved

Hi everyone,
    At present I am still on a work visa but I received confirmation that my residency application has been approved and I am about to send my passport to have the residency visa label stamped on it. I have been for more than 3 months with my actual job/employer so I won't have any section 49 conditions applyed. I've received recently a very good new job offer that I would like to take. My question is, do I have to wait to receive my passport with new residency visa before giving my notice of resignation to my actual employer? Passport should take about 2 weeks and I am giving one month notice. Time could be crucial for this new job opportunity which I don't want to miss but at the same time I am afraid to do something that could affect my residency.
    Regards

Christian

Be careful. It's hard to give a straightforward opinion or answer on this situation. Until the Residence visa label is placed in your passport, you are only legally covered to be in NZ by your present work visa. That visa depends on the job named upon it, so it will cease when you actually leave the job. It looks to me as though the timing you suggest ought to work, unless your present employer didn't want you to work out your notice, but instead, leave immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Be careful. It's hard to give a straightforward opinion or answer on this situation. Until the Residence visa label is placed in your passport, you are only legally covered to be in NZ by your present work visa. That visa depends on the job named upon it, so it will cease when you actually leave the job. It looks to me as though the timing you suggest ought to work, unless your present employer didn't want you to work out your notice, but instead, leave immediately.

Thanks for your answer.
    If I give my notice before I received my passport back, should I notify my CO of that?
    Regards

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Arame View Post
    Thanks for your answer.
    If I give my notice before I received my passport back, should I notify my CO of that?
    Regards

Christian
    I wouldnt risk at all. I would wait until i get residence label on my passport. And after that i will take further step. You waited for this long to get residence and you dont want anything unexpected things to happen now. So be patience until you get residence and then give notice. This is just a opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Arame View Post
    Thanks for your answer.
    Regards

Christian
    Giving notice doesn't make any difference. It is actually finishing - leaving the job - which cancels the work visa.

In any case, once the CO has added your name to the lists for change of online status and AIP letter/email, your case is no longer his/her responsibility, because the processing is now finished.