Thread: Holistic Therapies

Default Holistic Therapies

Does anyone know how popular holistic therapies are generally in NZ.

As some of you may know, my OH is a therapist and does sports massage, reflexology etc., but we don't know if he's going to get to practise there as he (hopefully) will be going back into the NZ Air Force.

However.. I practice the more spiritual therapies, being Reiki, Crystal Healing, "hopi" ear candling. I would like to get to practise these but wondered how popular they are there or how open people are to these kinds of treatments.

In my ideal situation I will have a part time "normal" job (hopefully in IT) and practise these the rest of the time.

For any that are interested I can let you know when we get there (when ) so you can try a treatment if you like

Keith & Debby

I can only speak for New Plymouth where i am staying - there appear to more holistic therapists around here than there are GP's, judging by the advertising boards outside small business complexes (and often just outside people's houses). I wondered if this was because you have to pay for some medical treatment here, so people don't mind so much paying for holistic therapies and exercise the choice to do so. I have noticed from general chat with people in NP at school, swimming club etc. that some of them have used reflexologists, chiropractors etc. and that this seems quite usual (where as in England it seemed more unusual, partly because of cost and partly due to dominance of the medical model). What is interesting is that in one small business complex here there is a GP, a chiropractor, a physio-therapist and an accupuncturist all in one complex (along with an oceonographer and an accountant if i remember correctly!) suggesting that they all work happily alongside each other, both physically and ideologically (which I don't feel is the case in the Uk - there is a very sharp divide between the two, and from working often with GP's, i wouldn't say the latter have a lot of time for alt & comp therapies in the main).
    I wonder also if the strong Chinese and other Eastern Asian influence in New Zealand has contributed to this/is meeting a need from these communities. Just a thought - there seems to be a large Chinese community here in NP.
    But they are certainly present in abundance here, although how well used and how well supported they are by the health boards/GPs i have no experience of.

As hannah said - rather popular - or at least some things are.

Im an aromatherapist - and actually - thats quite rare. There are buckets of massage therapists here, iether "therapeutic" or "relaxation". The relaxtion courses are about 1 year long, where as the theraputic is about 2 years and goes into much more detail with a+p.

Most of the other therapies are add ons to taht - so for example the aromatherapist here have mostly done 2 weekends on adding in essential oils to thier practice. Often its the same with reflexology - rather than doing a full diploma in its own right - though some have from what ive seen.

Spiritual therapies are also here - though not as abundant from what ive seen. I met a wonderful lady from Foxton who practices with Aura Soma and other colour / sound therapies. She was wonderful to talk to and really encouraged me to strat practicing again. |Also a friend of mine recommended thsi place - dont knw if its of interest to you:
    http://www.thewoolshed.com/
    Most towns seem to have crystal/ new age shops but you arent going to find the sort of place we have in the UK. Mostly they sell pottery fairies and dragons, and occasionally some books. However in Wellington there is a fantastic bookshop called Pinnacle Books, catering to spritual needs and therapies (and lost of other things I didnt even know existed - it wouldnt be out of place in Glastonbury).

One problem i have found is that often when you go for treatments here - the premises (and sometimes the thereapist) are "grotty" to say the least. Its not really on to give aromatherapy massages with dirty nails and unwashed hair Also, i cant seem to find anywhere to buy couch roll from - and most places you just lie on the same towels that the other clients used. Not very hygenic, and in common with a lot of kiwi houses - they dont put the heating on!

You should both be able to practice here with UK qualifications - mostly because there is no law to stop you. Im registered with IFPA in the UK, and that certainly means I can practice here - I just need to get insurance before i start.

I'm also very interested in whether Reiki is generally accepted in New Zealand, as I'm contemplating practising it as well when we are settled down!
    I've done a google search but it did not come back with a lot information or practices.
    Does anyone know if there is a decent New Age shop in Auckland?

Thanks for all your replies, most interesting. it's nice to know it's accepted there. Until recently there was only 1 practising crystal therapist on the Isle of Man here, so it's good to know that the NZ's have an open mind to such things.

I'm looking forward to being able to practice there and I will certainly have the heating on !!!

I was thinking that if Keith did want to practise too he could do well with his sports/remedial qualifications, being a sporty nation.

Maybe see some of you on my couch at some point !

Debby

Nienke,

Not only should you be able to practice - but it seems to be rare enough that you wont be compteting with thousands of others. Thats teh problem I see with doing straightforward Massage Therapy here - there are just so many practitioners to compete with.

Im pretty lucky in that I can do Aromatherapy because I love it - I dont actually need to make a living at it. I only hope I can get some clients to come all the way out to my house for a treatment.

KD - Always happy to try new things! Good luck.

That's good to hear Avalon, thanks!
    I wouldn't need to make a living out of it either, but I would love to start up my practice and start treatments and teaching courses.