Thread: Residency/Partnership Visa

Default Residency/Partnership Visa

I'm a Kiwi and my partner is South African. He is currently on an Essential Skills Work Visa. He has previously been on two partnership work visas. One of 6 months and one of 12 months. We split up for 6-7 weeks about halfway through last year which we told immigration about. While we were broken up he had started the process of going onto an Essential Skills Work Visa through his employer so he went ahead and got it even though we're together.

We are going to apply for a partnership work visa and residency for him simultaneously as this is what immigration has said we have to do - we have a joint bank account which we regularly use, we've got a joint tenancy agreement, we have joint power, internet, contents and health insurance. We've got photos, letters from friends and family. We've got mail that's been sent to our house and airplane tickets from a trip we did. We've got a letter from our couples' therapist.

My question is: should we wait longer to get more evidence? It's been about 5-6months since we had the short break up. My other question is: is it likely that his residency will be approved? And if it's declined (touch wood) can we apply again or what would we do?

Thanks in advance.

For Residence, INZ look closely at the 12 months leading up to the application. They are likely not to regard you as a good prospect while the 7-week separation falls within that 12 months. It might have passed by, but since you told them you had separated, I think they would have to restart the clock after you got back together again. So I believe you would be more likely to have a trouble-free processing if you wait a bit longer.

Since he's had partner-sponsored work visas, INZ obviously already accepted that you are a couple, which is a good sign for the residence application.

Thanks for your advice. It is really appreciated. We will definitely wait longer. Hypothetically, if the residence application was to be declined - are we able to apply again under the partnership category?

Oh, yes, you could apply again.

Thanks for your help!