Thread: Tauranga

Default Tauranga

I am looking for some advice with regards to accommodation in Tauranga please. We are a couple who will be moving in a few weeks and are looking for self-catering accommodation in/around Tauranga for a few days until we can find a more permanent rental place. In the beginning we won’t have a vehicle, so we would probably need to be close to a bus route. We would prefer a self-catering place with internet access. Any places or areas that you can recommend we look at?

Then we will need to find a longer term rental place. We will only be going with our suitcases, so will start from scratch again and will need a furnished place to rent for a few weeks till we settle in. Which areas can you recommend and which areas should we avoid? I have been looking at related threads on this forum, but most are older threads from around 2009 and not necessarily relevant anymore. I am sure there have been quite a few changes in Tauranga over the last few years. So any help would be appreciated.

Are there any specific rental agencies that you can recommend or that we should avoid? You are welcome to PM me on this last question if you prefer.

Are there any current members on the forum that stay in Tauranga?

Hi Eco

We are in the same boat as you except we are looking for a short term rental in tauranga for 2 adults and 4 kids. Hoping to be there end of Feb but don't want to commit to a long term rental without seeing it in person. Would be great if some forum members who are already in Tauranga had any advise for us :-)

I am still searching for short term for the first few days. We would like to stay walking distance from a bus route, so that we can get around the first few days while searching for a vehicle to buy.

SFahy if I may ask, how do you plan to get from Auckland to Tauranga? We will be landing after 22:00 at night, so we'll have to wait till the following day if we decide to travel by bus.

when we moved to tauranga we stayed at an airbnb for the first 2 weeks. honestly Tauranga bus routes are not ideal, and if you are going to be looking around for a place, you will probably need a car. its very sprawl-y here. we went to a few viewings a day and you really cant get around town easily but bus to accommodate that. we rented a car from auckland and drove down, and bough a used vehicle a few days late. if thats not going to be a thing for you, try to pick where you are going to want to live, and stay there. the mount is lovely, especially this time of year, but probably very hard to get a rental there for the next little bit. The CBD is an obvious choice for centrality, but it is dead quiet in the evenings. do you have jobs here? living close to work can be great here, especially for peak hour traffic.

our first rental place was managed by tauranga rentals and they really were hard to deal with. our new place is managed by Banard and they are lovely and no-hassle

Thank you very much for the info @kdok. We have no jobs yet, still looking for work. A few places I had a look at on Trademe was advertised by Tauranga Rentals. I however do not like the way they describe that they handle your personal information, so I was already a bit sceptic about them. So the fact that you say you had a hard time to deal with them is interesting. I will check out Barnard, thanks.

Ideally we would like to get a car a quickly as possible. We are still debating whether to stay in Auckland for a few days while searching for a car (it seems like there are more car options there) or to go to Tauranga directly and then search from there.

buying a car was easy down here, but you need a car to get to the car sales places, which is annoying. auckland would probably be easier, and has much better transit. good luck!

Hi Eco,

Sorry for late reply, finalising plans and all that :-)

My hubby is going over first, he is flying on 13th Feb arriving in Auckland on 15th and he is going to rent a small car there for a few days to get him around to buy a car there before travelling down to Tauranga. Myself and the kids are following him out around March 10th. By then we hope he will be able to sort out our rental accommodation etc etc

We are still looking for a furnished property to stay from early March. One question though, I see some properties have water, electricity and internet included in the rental amount or variations of these. I would guess that this would make quite a difference in the rental amount. I know it depends on usage, but how much would each of these cost respectively on average, since I have for example no idea what kind of internet package is normally included in such deals? We are only 2 people and are low electricity and water users.

If these things are included, we would obviously be able to pay a little bit more. The questions is: How much more?