Thread: Locations in Christchurch

Default Locations in Christchurch

Hello all, this is my first post!

We're looking at moving to Christchurch and would like to know the good and bad areas for renting please. We will have two children of primary school age and I will hopefully be working in or around the airport. Looking for 4/5 bed with the priority a good school.

Any advice on areas or renting in general would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Avonhead would be a good place to look at. It is only minutes from the airport, it is on (fairly) stable ground and is in a good school catchment. I can't remember which school it is but one of the guys I car-pool with had a house in Avonhead that they bought when their kids were younger specifically for the good schools.

Another one to look at would be Ilam; a little further into torn but still handy for the airport and good schools.

Burnside, Avonhead, Russley, Ilam, Fendalton would all be possibly. Heading out of town in the morning to the airport is easier than travelling in the other direction. If you prefer more rural living West Melton and surrounds would be another possibility,

I will add Casebrook & Harewood to the mix. Close to airport, shops & schools.

I agree with all of the comments above. We lived in ILAM in 2008-2010, when our kids were ages 11 & 17. They attended Westburn School and Burnside High School and loved it! Very nice area to raise kids, imo.

When the first big quake happened in September of 2010 (magnitude 7.1) our house shook a lot, but there was no damage. The area is on solid ground. I can't say what happened to the area after that as we ended up moving back to the US 3 mos. later.

Ilam and the west suffered little damage in the quakes. People lost brick chimneys but that says more about the standard of building than the severity of the shaking.