Thread: Work to Residence Visa - Applying for Residency

Default Work to Residence Visa - Applying for Residency

Has anyone applied for Residence after 24 months under a Work to Residence Visa that could share your experience with us?

I hold this visa since September 2015, so within 8 months I'll be able to apply.
    I did a little research about it and found 2 different visas:
    - Resident visa: Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa which costs 2470 NZD and;
    - Resident Visa: Residence From Work which costs 1550 NZD.

My visa was granted under the LTSSL, so I think the first one applies to me. But who's the second one for?

Also, I started working on May 2015 under a Work and Holiday Visa, and then my current visa was granted by September 2015. The same company and occupation. The question is, can I count 24 months from May (when I started working) or it needs to be from September when the visa was granted? Even on the immigration website this information is not clear. In some pages they say from 24 months of work while in other pages 24 months of visa.

Thanks
    Jordan

If you are eligible under Skilled Migrant rules, you could start the process, or you can wait until you have held a work to residence visa for 24 months (September 2017) to be able to apply under those .

It would be your choice.

And what about the different ways to get residency? Should I go for Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa or Residence From Work?

The letter that follows my visa says that I can apply for the process 3 months before completing 24 months (probably because of the time frame), but the immigration website doesn't say anything about it. Do you reckon I can stick to this information?

Cheers

IF you believe these processing times then a skiiled migrant visa might take 6 months, so you could be a resident by mid year, but if you waitied till September and applied then, it might take 3 months.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...sa-application

Personally i don't believe those times and think SMC might take 6-12 months and Residence from Work up to 6 months.

Do you reckon I can stick to this information?
    Any timings mentioned by INZ, either on their website and paperwork, or in a communication from a CO, are only ever their best GUESS, never a promise. It takes as long as it takes.

Somebody whose temporary work visa is a Work To Residence can use the Residence From Work route to apply for residence when they meet their conditions, OR can choose to apply for Residence under SMC.

Somebody whose temporary work visa is an Essential Skills can apply for Residence under SMC.

The time you were on the WHV does not count, only time you have been on a work visa granted because you are in a skilled job.