Thread: Skilled Migrant Category Job Search Visa to Resident Visa

Default Skilled Migrant Category Job Search Visa to Resident Visa

Hi everyone.

I got the Skilled Migrant Category Job Search Visa invitation on November 2016 and hoping to move to NZ on April 2017.

I am currently working as system/database administrator and I want to know that, do I need to find a similar job or any job related to IT to apply for Resident visa?

Is there a probation period as mention in following thread,
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38921

Do I need to start applying for jobs now or later?
    What procedure do I need to follow to find a job soon?

Please advice me and share your experience.

Thanks in advance,

Dil
    Last edited by dil-kiwi; 10th January 2017 at 04:15 PM.

Is there a probation period as mention in following thread,
    This depends on the contract offered you by an employer. Many have a three-month probationary period written in. Read the small print.

I don't actually agree with the poster on that old thread, that the three-month proof of being in skilled work is necessarily linked to the employer's probationary period. If it were, they would say so.

What happens when you get a skilled job offer is as follows. You have a choice at that point. You can immediately go to INZ with your job offer letter and contract, and they will give you your Residence visa with a Section 49(1) condition in it, that you must work three months for that employer, then, at the end of that time, you can go back with proof (financial/tax) that you have done that and are still working there, and a different residence visa label will be put in your passport, with no conditions on it. Once you have that, you are free to do as you wish (within reason and NZ law, obviously). OR ELSE you can work the three months, and then go to INZ with your proof you have done it and you are still working there, and you will directly get the residence visa label with no conditions on it.

There is only a small difference. If you choose the first option, you are already a NZ resident three months sooner than with the section option. If you have a partner and family on your application, they can have their residence visas as soon as you do.

You need a job using the skills in the qualifications proved in your application.

You can try applying whenever you like, but it is not easy to get a job when you are overseas. NZ employers tend to prefer to be able to look someone in the eye and shake their hand.

Please use the Search - there are old threads about looking for work.