Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Its time to say Good Bye...... 30 days & counting

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Most people have the right to drive on a foreign licence in NZ for 12 months after arrival. https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...g-on-nz-roads/
    Thanks JandM.

Yes, i intend to drive using my foreign license for a while before i convert to local one. When does this 12 month period start as I did visit NZ twice on Sep 2015 & Aug 2016 for less than a month duration.

The 12 month period begins when you enter the country so you will be able to drive on your licence for 12 months from the latest date you enter NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by MLVB View Post
    The 12 month period begins when you enter the country so you will be able to drive on your licence for 12 months from the latest date you enter NZ.
    Thanks MLVB. So it is effective once I land on Feb 11 and valid until Feb 2018.

Yes, and the 12 months re-starts any time you leave and come back in.

It sounds like you have covered most of it nms.sun3. With regards to IRD numbers, we also applied for ours while still in our home country and did not receive any e-mail communication. However a few weeks later we received letters from the IRD at our home address in our home country. Not sure what address you gave up, but maybe check if it was not delivered to that address.

Quote Originally Posted by Eco View Post
    It sounds like you have covered most of it nms.sun3. With regards to IRD numbers, we also applied for ours while still in our home country and did not receive any e-mail communication. However a few weeks later we received letters from the IRD at our home address in our home country. Not sure what address you gave up, but maybe check if it was not delivered to that address.
    Good day,

I would also like to apply for IRD number in my home country... what is the procedure for doing so?

The information and requirements are all on the IRD website. Have a look here:
    https://www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/irdnumbers/?id=footer

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Yes, and the 12 months re-starts any time you leave and come back in.
    Sweet..so i can leave after 12 months and reenter few weeks after to use my foreign licence again

Yes... but the NZ police come down hard on the many people who keep putting off and putting off converting properly to a NZ licence, if once they are caught driving AFTER 12 months after their last entry. Don't ever be tempted to think 'she'll be right' and 'I only need to go just round the corner' and 'it's only been a year and three days and I'm off on my trip to (wherever) tomorrow'.

I did my IRD at Kiwibank/NZ Post the day I arrived. After a week I rang in to get the number so I could get paid at my job.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast