Thread: What if you lose your job during your Employer Assisted Post-Study Work Visa

Default What if you lose your job during your Employer Assisted Post-Study Work Visa

Hey guys quick simple questions, I am starting a new job and will apply for an employer assisted post study work visa. What I wanted to know, if for any reason I am let go/fired from the job (It will have a 1 month notice most likely, but lets say I got fired on the same day for whatever reason) I would like to know what I can do. How much time do I have till I can find a new job? Do I have to leave the country immediately?

I know how the change of condition works. I know if I have another job ready it is pretty easy, but what happens If I lose my job with nothing lined up, I wanna know if I have any time to find another job.

Appreicate the help guys, thanks

You would be obliged to let INZ know immediately, because, strictly speaking, your visa (and therefore, your permission to be in NZ) would come to an end along with the job. In practice, INZ are normally quite humane, and allow a person a period of time (weeks) to find another job. If they didn't find work in a reasonable time, INZ would tell them a date by which they must arrange to leave the country, and, as long as they complied with that, their record would stay clean - they wouldn't be classed as an overstayer (which would count against them for any future visa application).