Thread: Difference between Contract / Fix-Term / Permanent?

Question Difference between Contract / Fix-Term / Permanent?

Hi, I would just like to seek some expert advice on the difference between a contract job say for 6mth / 12mth vs a fixed-term job for 6mths / 12mths (is there any difference between the first two???) vs a permanent job. I understand from online sources that there could be significant difference. Could someone help on this topic probably pertaining to
    - Wage difference
    - Paid Holidays / Sick Leave
    - Insurance
    - KiwiSavers
    - Tax, ACC
    - Others ???

The reason I asked is that I have been given an option between a contract or a permanent role. Not sure why I have gotten the options but it would definitely help me alot by first knowing the differences it encompasses as the way these employment terms work in NZ is definitely different from Singapore.

Cheers,
    Ken

Hi... in my experience, Contract work usually indicates self employment for a specific hourly rate and predetermined term and contractual conditions... and you pay all your own tax, ACC, insurances etc and forget sick leave and holidays... or fixed term permanent is a PAYE employee with all the usual benefits of an employee. I have done both here in NZ. Both have their positives and negatives.

Fixed term doesn't have the bonus component as compared to permanent role. Rest of the HR policies might be similar to perm employees.Fixed term employments are offered for transient roles which lasts for 1-2 years. If you are lucky you may be absorbed as a perm employee based on your performance.

helloo I am also confused about this. whenever I renew my work visa my employer always write ONGOING when length of contract asked
    any idea?