Thread: Two Germans - One Essential Skills - One Partner Work - Lots of questions

Question Two Germans - One Essential Skills - One Partner Work - Lots of questions

Hi guys,

First of all I want to say what a great forum this is. INZ can sometimes be a bit cryptic in their answers and this forum is wonderful for finding additional info and getting help. Unfortunately our particular case gets more and more complicated the more I think about it. INZ has offered some valuable answers and tips but there's still some open points. So let's start:

We're two Germans, aged 30, been together for almost 10 years, are currently on a WHV until 4th Feb 2017.
    My partner started working as a Senior Stylist at a small shop that tried for ages to find someone for this position. After a lot of thought we finally decided to approach the employer and she offered my partner a sponsorship together with a full-time contract. I wasn't as lucky, am an engineer by trade but work as a carpenter, arborist and horticulturist at the moment. The Essential Skills Visa (for her) and the partnership-based temporary work visa were what Immigration said would fit best and we already have all the forms filled out and lots of evidence for our relationship etc etc

• Timeframe
      We are a bit late. WHV is running out on 4th Feb 2017 and we are flying to Oz in a few days for a short visit as my parents are currently travelling over there. We WILL be coming back before the WHV runs out, touching down in Chch on 31st Feb. Immigration advised us that a return after our current visa runs out could be detrimental to our applications as we would have to enter on a visitor visa (which is for the purpose of visiting). BUT: Could we also run into problems as only four days are left on our WHV? My partner's application will hopefully already be lodged.
    • Application
      My partner will apply online as this was suggested by INZ. Would she still need to hand in her passport? Can you start the process, then stop and continue later or does it all need to be done in one go? I hope this doesn't matter but I'll still ask: can the online application be filled out while we're in Oz?
      From what I gathered from the Immi officers I will have to apply for my partnership visa in paper and hand in my passport. Referring to the first point (visiting Australia) could this become problematic when we re-enter New Zealand on the 31st? Also can I even apply for a partner visa if my partner's Essential Skills visa hasn't even been granted (but has been applied for)???
    • Documents
      It's a bit of a mish to get our German police certificates. We got it all streamlined by talking to the German clerks who sent it out right away. Still it takes almost two weeks to arrive here by air-freight and we'd also need to get it translated. Worst case at the moment is that the document arrives while we are in Australia or even afterwards. I know INZ wants all the documents at once but is it possible to add documents to the (online) application after you've sent it in?
    • Partnership Evidence
      We have been together for almost 10 years but by now have completely avoided financial interdependency. We have lived in flats, rooms, houses and cars together but mostly (ok, always) without tenancy contracts. We have no joint bank account and no joint morgages (yes!). This means I cannot tick 3 out of 4 boxes of documents INZ would like to see as proof that we are a happy couple. However we have letters from four people that we are very close to that are vouching for the genuineness of our relationship, facebook timeline stuff, a travel blog, flight tickets, passport stamps, a radio show we do together and so on. I know you can't look into a CO's mind but would this be sufficient?
    • Interim
      As I understand it after applying for a new visa we will be given an interim visa that kicks in when our WHV runs out until the new work visa is decided on. Correct? As my partner is in high demand at her job will she be able to work during this time? And what about me?

Lots of question, hope someone can help. We're just getting a wee bit anxious because of the short trip and the delay in receiving the police certificate...I hope she'll be alright.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers,
    Jimmie

I'm going to be saying to some hard truths here that you probably won't like.

WHV is running out on 4th Feb 2017 and we are flying to Oz in a few days for a short visit as my parents are currently travelling over there. We WILL be coming back before the WHV runs out, touching down in Chch on 31st Feb.
    This doesn't hang together. Should that be '31st Jan'?
    Immigration advised us that a return after our current visa runs out could be detrimental to our applications as we would have to enter on a visitor visa (which is for the purpose of visiting). BUT: Could we also run into problems as only four days are left on our WHV? My partner's application will hopefully already be lodged.
    Immigration are quite right. Immigration officials at the airport are on the lookout for people who are potential visa-breakers and overstayers. You would look like just the type - you've been in the country for the full length of a WHV each, and there you would be, trying to come back in as visitors. This is what people do who hope to vanish into the black economy. They would be wondering what on earth you would still need to visit in NZ after all that time, and probably look to refuse you entry. INZ's rule about visitor visas (and WHVs are sort of on the edge of this) is that a foreigner can't spend more than half their time in NZ, so when they've used the maximum time allowed as a visitor, they have to go away for the same amount of time before they can come back.

However, with 4 days left on your WHV, which is a multi-entry visa, you have the right to re-enter, and it's quite reasonable that, even if you were intending to go back to Europe, you would need those days to pack and say your goodbyes, so that is a completely different scenario.

Would she still need to hand in her passport?
    Yes. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ZL&applying=no
    Can you start the process, then stop and continue later or does it all need to be done in one go?
    No, you can't start and stop. And when you're trying to show an established base and established job in NZ, applying from Australia is not a good idea, besides the fact that an application from someone in Australia would probably go to a different office from an application from within NZ, and then have to be transferred, with all the possibilities for delay, and things going astray.

I think you need to ask yourselves, what is your priority here? Getting yourselves set up for being legally able to work and set up home, or having a holiday? INZ is part of the government. They're not into people's personal convenience. If you break their regulations and don't fulfil their requirements, there isn't any leeway, just a refusal. I understand about wanting to see your parents, but how about if THEY were the visitors and came over to see YOU, since, if you aren't very careful, you may otherwise mess up your visa application?

I will have to apply for my partnership visa in paper and hand in my passport. Referring to the first point (visiting Australia) could this become problematic when we re-enter New Zealand on the 31st?
    You cannot move between countries without having your passport in your possession.
    can I even apply for a partner visa if my partner's Essential Skills visa hasn't even been granted (but has been applied for)?
    You can send in your paper application at the same time as your partner's online application, linking the two with a covering letter giving ALL the details of her application (full personal details, dates, etc.), then INZ will make it one case, supplying her visa number and any other things you don't know to start with as they become available.
    I know INZ wants all the documents at once but is it possible to add documents to the (online) application after you've sent it in?
    Not normally. When there is a delay although the applicant has done everything they can to get things in time, the person would need to send evidence to INZ of everything they have done, and the replies that have come from the other party - in this case, proof that the German clerks have sent the necessary papers and estimated time of arrival, and/or your arrangements with a translator, and then INZ will in some cases allow late submission. But it is not a foregone conclusion. They don't have to agree. They could just say, 'Incomplete application - rejected.'
    Partnership Evidence. For heaven's sake, take this seriously. YOU know you are nice guys, genuine people, but INZ don't know you at all. Visas under partnership are the ones most targeted by fraudsters who get people to lie for them, since there's no requirement for skilled qualifications and work experience, therefore, every smallest item of a partner application is checked out in detail. Nobody gets just waved through. You need proof that the wider world knows both of you at the same address. You still have time to collect a bit more of that if you work at it. Look at these old threads. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=inz+partnership+proof These should show you the way to think about it, and what other people have done.
    after applying for a new visa we will be given an interim visa that kicks in when our WHV runs out until the new work visa is decided on. Correct?
    Yes.
    As my partner is in high demand at her job will she be able to work during this time? And what about me?
    No. You are each applying for a different kind of temporary visa from the one you had before, and that is what decides what the conditions on the interim visa will be. It's all laid out here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...isa-conditions
    We're just getting a wee bit anxious because of the short trip and the delay in receiving the police certificate...I hope she'll be alright.
    I think you need to be anxious enough to concentrate on pulling together this application as well as possible in the short time you have till your WHVs run out, or you may miss your chance.

First of all thanks for your extensive reply JandM!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    This doesn't hang together. Should that be '31st Jan'?
    Of course, small typo.

However, with 4 days left on your WHV, which is a multi-entry visa, you have the right to re-enter, and it's quite reasonable that, even if you were intending to go back to Europe, you would need those days to pack and say your goodbyes, so that is a completely different scenario.
    We have more than sufficient funds available to buy outward tickets. Would a bank statement be sufficient to prove this or do you reckon that immigration would rather see a ticket?

What I mean is: she hands in an ONLINE application and will supply a authenticated copy of her passport (stamped by a JP )with the online application. Does she need to physically hand in her passport for the online application? Also is a b/w copy sufficient (INZ told me on the phone that b/w is usually ok)?

No, you can't start and stop. And when you're trying to show an established base and established job in NZ, applying from Australia is not a good idea, besides the fact that an application from someone in Australia would probably go to a different office from an application from within NZ, and then have to be transferred, with all the possibilities for delay, and things going astray.
    These question referred to the online application. If we start the online application, upload documents, fill out the all the forms, can we save the application before sending it so we can complete it once required documents arrive (police cert)? Of course the completed application would be sent in before the deadline.
    So an online application lodged from Australia, although none of the documents states that it comes from Australia, would be categorized as Australian?

I understand about wanting to see your parents, but how about if THEY were the visitors and came over to see YOU, since, if you aren't very careful, you may otherwise mess up your visa application?
    From my phone conversations with INZ this should not be an issue. Could be but should not. Without going into the peculiarities the additional $1000 return flights OZ-NZ per person and them having only five days of holidays left by the time we arrive means no: there is no way that they could be the visitors.

You cannot move between countries without having your passport in your possession.
    Of course. Odd that I asked this question as I already know that.

You can send in your paper application at the same time as your partner's online application, linking the two with a covering letter giving ALL the details of her application (full personal details, dates, etc.), then INZ will make it one case, supplying her visa number and any other things you don't know to start with as they become available.
    Valuable info. What exactly is etc. for the cover letter?

...and then INZ will in some cases allow late submission. But it is not a foregone conclusion. They don't have to agree. They could just say, 'Incomplete application - rejected.'
    Taking into account that we would have to get the email conversations translated we probably give this a miss and hope that the police cert arrives in time.

Cheers
    Last edited by Jimmie; 13th January 2017 at 02:50 PM.

We have more than sufficient funds available to buy outward tickets. Would a bank statement be sufficient to prove this or do you reckon that immigration would rather see a ticket?
    That's not the point. They have no obligation to let you in. If they decide you're not bona fide visitors, basing it on your recent history and the profile you present, they won't let you in.

Passport - that link is the official line. It's not me telling you - it's INZ via their website. The fact that INZ via their answerer also told you something different is one of the joys of trying to read your future regarding NZ visas.
    From my phone conversations with INZ this should not be an issue. Could be but should not.
    Good luck.

etc. - I don't know, never having done one of these myself. I'm quoting what people have been told by LIAs.

Thumbs up

Good luck.
    Thanks for that. It actually wasn't too bad. INZ staff at the Chch office was very helpful and all our problems were solved.

@Admin: thread can be closed.