Thread: Convert Germany Holiday Work Visa to Permanent Resident Visa?

Default Convert Germany Holiday Work Visa to Permanent Resident Visa?

Hi guys! My name is Alex, I'm 24 and from Germany. I currently have a job contract that goes until the end of 2018 and in January of 2019 and I want to move to NZ. I have a Masters Degree in Physics from a German University and currently about 4 years of work experience in the field of science and programming, I'm currently working as a programmer. I have some questions regarding my dream to move to NZ.

1) Based on your experience, how are the chances to get a permanent resident visa with my qualifications?

2) I'm not sure if I should look for a job in Germany or only as soon as I arrive in NZ? My plan is to apply for a Working Holiday Visa - and then to look for jobs as soon as I am in NZ. Can i "convert" the working holiday visa into the permanent resident visa? In the FAQ it says that I cannot take a "permanent job" while I'm on the Working Holiday Visa.

3) If you think it's better to look for a job offer remotely from Germany - how are your experiences with that and how far in advance should I start looking (I'm planning to move in 2 years)?

Thank you all so much in advance for taking time to read and answer my questions!

All the best and greetings from Germany,

Alex

Hello.

The first thing to say is that the visa you get in the first place when you apply under the Skilled Migrant Category is Residence. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa PR is a different visa, which you can qualify for only after two years as a Resident, and if you meet other conditions. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident

You need to look carefully at the requirements for getting your Expression Of Interest selected for an application under SMC, so you can see if there are any extra matters you need to work on before you are ready to try.

Many people travel to NZ to look for work using a WHV, and it is a good way to proceed. It is difficult to get a job offer when still abroad (though some people have done it), unless you have a rare skill set. NZ employers have a preference for being able to look someone in the eye and shake their hand, getting a feeling for how they will fit into their business.

It's true the regulations don't allow you to take a permanent position while on the WHV. But you can be employed, at first on a temporary basis, by someone who is impressed with you, and s/he can then make you the offer of a permanent position which you can show to INZ as part of your visa application. Because a residence application under SMC can be expected to take up to a year to process, most people apply, at the same time and with a lot of the same evidence, for a temporary work visa of some kind. Either of these https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ills-work-visa or https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...residence-visa can normally be processed in about a month, allowing you to start work on a permanent contract, while the SMC application is still taking the time it takes.

Thank you so much for your detailed answer! That gives me a lot of new information i didn't have before.
    You say that there a couple of things I could work on before getting on with the EOI - what exactly do you mean with that? I guess all I can do about it, is gaining more work experience, or is there anything else I can do?

All the best,

Alex :-)

I said you should look carefully IN CASE there are things you need to do to improve your point count. You may be fine anyway. However, sometimes, people assume they will easily get the minimum number of points for selection, but they haven't looked at the detailed requirements. See here http://onlineservices.immigration.go...anual/6954.htm as well as the page about SMC on the main INZ website.

Quote Originally Posted by tskalex View Post
    Thank you so much for your detailed answer! That gives me a lot of new information i didn't have before.
    You say that there a couple of things I could work on before getting on with the EOI - what exactly do you mean with that? I guess all I can do about it, is gaining more work experience, or is there anything else I can do?

All the best,

Alex :-)
    Supplementary to the information provided by jandM, you can use the online calculator to assess where you currently stand with the minimum 160 points for the automatic EOI selection (https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa).

Yes, the calculator can give an overview, but be careful - it can be misleading because some people's life situations are more complicated than the computer programme can cope with. If you are puzzled about anything that comes up, definitely use the last link I posted, which has all the fine detail of the regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by tskalex View Post
    Hi guys! My name is Alex, I'm 24 and from Germany. I currently have a job contract that goes until the end of 2018 and in January of 2019 and I want to move to NZ. I have a Masters Degree in Physics from a German University and currently about 4 years of work experience in the field of science and programming, I'm currently working as a programmer. I have some questions regarding my dream to move to NZ.

1) Based on your experience, how are the chances to get a permanent resident visa with my qualifications?

2) I'm not sure if I should look for a job in Germany or only as soon as I arrive in NZ? My plan is to apply for a Working Holiday Visa - and then to look for jobs as soon as I am in NZ. Can i "convert" the working holiday visa into the permanent resident visa? In the FAQ it says that I cannot take a "permanent job" while I'm on the Working Holiday Visa.

3) If you think it's better to look for a job offer remotely from Germany - how are your experiences with that and how far in advance should I start looking (I'm planning to move in 2 years)?

Thank you all so much in advance for taking time to read and answer my questions!

All the best and greetings from Germany,

Alex
    Also you may not be eligible for Bonus points for LTSSL area(ICT) as you have done your Masters in Physics. If you have done your Bachelors in Computers or IT then it may add to your bonus points.

Hi tskalex,

The following is just pure personal experience, not immigration advice.

It is like JandM said. A Skilled Migrant visa is as the name applies about "skills". If you hold work experience within Germany (which is a comparable labour market to NZ), a degree which will be assessed by NZQA as recognised/comparable here in NZ, being under 30 years of age, and having a skilled job offer related to your degree, your chances might be pretty good.

I did the same when I came here you. Arrived on a Working Holiday Visa right after graduating, accepted a job - my employer needed to give me a fixed contract (expiring when my WH visa expired). Then could gave me a full time permanent offer which we used to fill out the EOI. After submission of the ITA, I was able to get an Essential Skill Work Visa as my Residence Visa is pending.

I can tell you from experience that Kiwis want to see you in person for an interview. No one responded to my applications from overseas.

Good luck on you mate Btw, it is all together a pretty long and expensive journey from Working Holiday Visa to Residence. I submitted my application in July 2016 and still waiting. Residence is not a "nice to have", you have to commit to this country and put your heart into it
    Last edited by Sebastian91; 16th January 2017 at 07:50 PM.