Thread: Possible benefits of working for an accredited employer.

Default Possible benefits of working for an accredited employer.

Hi there, I'm hoping someone on here may be able to shed some light on this question I have...

If you are working for an accredited employer would that benefit you at all if you are applying for an essential skills visa?

I understand that the accredited employer status is mainly for people applying for talent work visa's and work to residence. However Im wondering, if I was to apply for an essential skills visa whilst working for an accredited employer would I stand a better chance of it being accepted over a standard employer.

Thank you for any help in advance.

I think you have the wrong impression in part.

An accredited employer can sponsor you for the Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa, otherwise known as WTR, certainly, but that isn't going to force you to wait out two years to apply for Residence under SMC, if that is what you are worried about. As soon as you start the job, you could put in that application.

The WTR application also has an advantage over Essential Skills in that the employer has already gone through the formalities with INZ, and their accredited status allows them to sponsor a foreign worker directly, without having to go through the labour market check of having proved there are no suitable NZers available to take the job.

Both WTR and Essential Skills visas are temporary work visas.

Ah, sorry I didn't really explain myself clearly.

Basically soon I will be looking for employment as an arborist in New Zealand. I will have to apply for a temporary work visa as I will not have sufficient post qualification experience to be able to claim my arborism as a skill as stated on the immigration website.

I believe the only work visa I would be eligible for would be the essential skills visa.

So I am wondering if working for a company which is accredited, would garner any favour with immigration over working for a company which is not accredited. When applying for an essential skills visa.

My plan is to try to gain the relevant 2 years work experience through working on a temporary work visa. Then apply for residence on a skilled migrant visa or if I am working for an accredited employer and earning enough, on a talent visa. However this is a couple of years down the line.

Sorry for the confusion, I just want to try to ensure I give myself the best chance of a future application being approved.

Thank you again JandM

Quote Originally Posted by olliebodd View Post
    Ah, sorry I didn't really explain myself clearly.

Basically soon I will be looking for employment as an arborist in New Zealand. I will have to apply for a temporary work visa as I will not have sufficient post qualification experience to be able to claim my arborism as a skill as stated on the immigration website.

I believe the only work visa I would be eligible for would be the essential skills visa.

So I am wondering if working for a company which is accredited, would garner any favour with immigration over working for a company which is not accredited. When applying for an essential skills visa.

My plan is to try to gain the relevant 2 years work experience through working on a temporary work visa. Then apply for residence on a skilled migrant visa or if I am working for an accredited employer and earning enough, on a talent visa. However this is a couple of years down the line.

Sorry for the confusion, I just want to try to ensure I give myself the best chance of a future application being approved.

Thank you again JandM
    Further to JandMs comment , a WTR work visa application for and accredited employer requires only that you meet health and character requirements and that the salary offered is $55k or more.
    It's for the employer to determine if you are suitably qualified or experienced. Links to follow

Thanks ChrisMwn. Save yourself the time though. I understand the requirements and how the WTR visa works. I appreciate the effort though.

What I am asking is, if I am more likely to be granted an essential skills visa if I work for an accredited employer or if it would make no difference, as the accreditation is only relevant for WTR visas.

Sorry for the confusing wording.

Thank you for your help though.

Quote Originally Posted by olliebodd View Post
    Thanks ChrisMwn. Save yourself the time though. I understand the requirements and how the WTR visa works. I appreciate the effort though.

What I am asking is, if I am more likely to be granted an essential skills visa if I work for an accredited employer or if it would make no difference, as the accreditation is only relevant for WTR visas.

Sorry for the confusing wording.

Thank you for your help though.
    Essential Skills is based on the availability of suitably qualified or experienced New Zealanders (or those who can be trained ) for the role, and if none are available , then you being suitably qualified or experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    Further to JandMs comment , a WTR work visa application for and accredited employer requires only that you meet health and character requirements and that the salary offered is $55k or more.
    It's for the employer to determine if you are suitably qualified or experienced. Links to follow

http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/41983.htm

So when applying for an essential skills visa, it would make no difference to the officer deciding, if you work for an accredited employer or non accredited?

I'm sorry for being a little confusing here. I appreciate your help ChrisMwn.

The reason I was asking is that I am about to start a course at Otago, as an international student, which will give me a level 4 qualification in Arboriculture. My visa I have is a work visa with variation of conditions which allows me to study on the course. The visa will expire in may 2018 so I will have about 5 months to secure work within the industry in New Zealand. However once my visa comes to an end I am hoping I might be able to secure a further work visa to allow me to continue living and working in NZ.

The problem is, that I will not have the 2 years post qualification work expirience which I can see is required for me to claim Arboriculture as my skill.

Therefore I want to try give myself the best chance of succeeding in any application I make. I will have spent over 4 years in total in NZ and paid for a 1 year course at international student rates. I'm hoping that that may be taken into account with any decisions made by immigration.

Do you know if anyone has successfully gained an essential skills visa without fulfilling the post qualification work experience requirements?

Is there anything I might be able to do to increase the chances of it being accepted?

Ultimately I want to try gain PR however that is further down the road at the moment.

Thank you for taking the time to help.
    Last edited by olliebodd; 17th January 2017 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Extra information