Thread: Gas hobs and oven

Default Gas hobs and oven

Hi there,

I would like to ask if some one can share some experience in buying full gas hobs and oven. The house I am renting got electric hobs and oven. I am heavy user of the oven and the electricity bill is shooting up. Does it worth to buy my own full gas hobs and oven?

Thanks,

We haven't moved yet but pretty much 80% of the rental properties are either using electric hot plate or induction style stoves. It's quite hard to find one with gas stove & nominal rental. We use cast iron cookware and don't wanna spoil them by using them on electric hotplate.

Gas (LPG) requires certification on the installation. Insurance companies too may be specific if you have gas LPG in the house and this would impact on the insurance cost. As for using LPG over electric, i'm not convinced either one is a major savings in use. LPG has maintenance issues - ie. delivery chargers, regulators going bad, bottle swaps, etc. that add to the monthly fee of having LPG connected - especially if reticulated supply to your home.

On the other hand, LPG appliances are usually far cheaper than the modern electric hobs. Unlike the electric hobs, technology doesn't change much when you go gas LPG, and on most part, are more reliable than electric.

LPG ovens are nicely moist and in some ways are better than electric ovens. But for us to get gas would be to deal with bottle deliveries. If you're in a high risk earthquake zone I'd stick with electric. We have an induction cooktop and it is the best!

Thank you everyone for your replies.