Thread: Birth Certificates - Applying for Partnership Residency

Default Birth Certificates - Applying for Partnership Residency

Hi there,

My partner (who is a NZ citizen, but was born in the UK) has supported two of my successful work visa applications.

His passport expired last September, and while we're still sending it in, immigration has also advised that we should send in his birth certificates (UK and NZ) to help prove his citizenship.

This morning, I went to the office in Welly to ask some questions, and I asked if it would be ok to turn in certified copies of his birth certs. The guy was very helpful, but said, "Oh so we're having a bit of a purge on that right now...it's just easier if you turn in all the original documents as we take our own copies."

I thought this was reasonable, but when I told this to my partner, he wasn't pleased at all. But angry about it. While he'll do it if he has to, he wanted to send in the certified copies. And I totally understand where he's coming from.

Has anyone had any issues with certified copies of birth certificates in the last few months? I want to get this application sorted as quickly as possible, and I don't want to do anything that would slow it down!

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by magneticregulus View Post
    Hi there,

My partner (who is a NZ citizen, but was born in the UK) has supported two of my successful work visa applications.

His passport expired last September, and while we're still sending it in, immigration has also advised that we should send in his birth certificates (UK and NZ) to help prove his citizenship.

This morning, I went to the office in Welly to ask some questions, and I asked if it would be ok to turn in certified copies of his birth certs. The guy was very helpful, but said, "Oh so we're having a bit of a purge on that right now...it's just easier if you turn in all the original documents as we take our own copies."

I thought this was reasonable, but when I told this to my partner, he wasn't pleased at all. But angry about it. While he'll do it if he has to, he wanted to send in the certified copies. And I totally understand where he's coming from.

Has anyone had any issues with certified copies of birth certificates in the last few months? I want to get this application sorted as quickly as possible, and I don't want to do anything that would slow it down!

Cheers.
    Does he have a NZ passport, even if its expired?

Hi Chris,

Yes. NZ Passport, supplied 2x (2015 and 2016) and accepted as proof then. It just expired in September, that's all. I didn't think I needed to supply his birth certs, but I've been getting lots of conflicting information from the 0800 number, so I've gone and confused myself.

The fact that a passport has expired, doesn't invalidate the information therein,namely proof of citizenship. it just means it not valid for travel. In my opinion the person on the counter is being a little unreasonable by asking for birth certificates and then also wanting "originals".

I'm inclined to agree with your partner, but perhaps send original passport and certified copies of birth certificates, just to be nice!

Okay, cool. Thanks for your help.

That's exactly what I thought, too. Seemed really odd.

If we do send in originals, can we have them returned early? Or do we have to request this in writing?

Cheers.

INZ would normally return original documents at the time a decision is made on a temporary visa, or at the time a residence application is accepted for processing.