Thread: Open University - BSc Honours (Open)

Default Open University - BSc Honours (Open)

Hi all,

Back after a loooong time...

We have recently returned from a 3 week holiday in NZ whch has rekindled our desire to emmigrate.

We are again looking at SMC, but with a job offer, and supporting qualification. However, I have a query regarding this...

The EOI suggests that the qualification should be a named degree, such as "BSc (Hons) (Computer Sciences)", whereas my degree is "BSc (Hons) (Open)". This was due to the fact that the Open University at that time did not do named degrees.

Basically, an 'Open' degree allows the student to choose their subjects in order to 'build their degree' to their interests. All subjects I studied were computer and technology subjects (languages, networking, databases, etc.

So, does anyone know if we are likely to be told that the degree doesn't fit the requirements for the job offer to be valid, and therefoire lose those points?

Would we have to go through NZQA?

Thanks in advance.

Would we have to go through NZQA?
    Yes. See here on the INZ list of qualifications exempt from assessment. http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/45798.htm Your degree isn't on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Yes. See here on the INZ list of qualifications exempt from assessment. http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/45798.htm Your degree isn't on the list.
    It would fit this option:- "Bachelor of Science (a speciality may be stated)".

I just wonder if they'll insist that it should be a named degree in Computer Science, although above it states "a speciality may be specified".

What year did you get your degree?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    What year did you get your degree?

And what ANZSCO listing would your job offer be under?

Long term skills shortage list.

This is where I see:-

- Bachelor of Science (Computer Science) or (Electronics) or (Electronic and Computer Systems) or (Information Science) or (Information Technology) (NZQF Level 7)

If you need to claim any bonus points for your qualification http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/30591.htm, then it has to be on the exempt list, OR assessed (IQA) as comparable to one of the NZ degrees you have just quoted. That doesn't mean YOUR degree will necessarily have one of those titles, but that, having looked at the content and depth, NZQA conclude that it is like a NZ degree course currently running. It looks as if it is possible that your qualification may be covered by the exempt list, but it's hard to be sure. Some people have been asked to get their OU degrees assessed anyway.
    does anyone know if we are likely to be told that the degree doesn't fit the requirements for the job offer to be valid, and therefoire lose those points?
    The points you claim for the job offer don't depend on your qualification.

Hi darboots,

If you have another qualification, you may not need to get your OU degree validated.

I had an HNC in Engineering as well as a BSc Hons Open and our immigration cosultant said that I had more than enough points by using the HNC. Getting the degree validated was therefore unnecessary.

Good luck anyway.

We've been here nearly 2 years now and couldn't be happier.

Many thanks JandM.

I think I need to look at the EOI in fullness along with the Operations Manual once again to fully understand the application. They don't make it easy, do they?

relocate2014, thank you for that.

As I understand it, for my I.T. work experience to count, I need a level 7 qualification (hence the degree). I do have an HNC (Software Engineering) and a Diploma in Computing. When we first applied (2009?) the HNC was adequate to have the work experience count towards the points. However, when we applied again in 2011, the HNC was rejected for work experience and our ITA points fell below selection and lapsed.