Thread: Translating birth certificate

Default Translating birth certificate

Hi everyone,

Iam just about to apply for my residence visa based on partnership and I need to translate my birth certificate into English as iam from Thailand.

My birth certificate is in Thailand, and iam in NZ, I was wondering if I can can just get it scanned to me then translated off that? Or does it need to be translated from the original copy?

I don't think a scan would work. You're at least going to need a certified copy of your birth certificate. I'm pretty sure you'll need to have the original or a certified copy sent to you from Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Fussyfahh View Post
    Hi everyone,

Iam just about to apply for my residence visa based on partnership and I need to translate my birth certificate into English as iam from Thailand.

My birth certificate is in Thailand, and iam in NZ, I was wondering if I can can just get it scanned to me then translated off that? Or does it need to be translated from the original copy?
    from what I have seen, You can just scan your Birth certificate and send it to english translator in NZ. They will do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by coolsharukh611 View Post
    from what I have seen, You can just scan your Birth certificate and send it to english translator in NZ. They will do it for you.
    it may be possible to have translation done from scanned copy (translation will be noted as such), but an original or certified copy of the birth certificate itself, will be required for the application.

Quote Originally Posted by coolsharukh611 View Post
    I had to translate my birth certificate a couple of months ago and although they worked on the translation from scans of the document, they did not send me the translations until I sent them the certified copy / original. But maybe it depends on the translation agency. Also, he's going to need to send a certified copy to immigration to apply for Residency anyway.

Thanks guys. So basically I could get it translated with just a copy but either way I'm going to need either a certified copy or original to give as part of the residence application?

Quote Originally Posted by Fussyfahh View Post
    Thanks guys. So basically I could get it translated with just a copy but either way I'm going to need either a certified copy or original to give as part of the residence application?