Thread: Will I lose access to free or subsidised healthcare?

Default Will I lose access to free or subsidised healthcare?

I'm thinking of getting a private medical insurance as I'm on a student budget and I can't afford day to day GP visits (regular visits). If I decided to, would that mean I'll lose the right to free healthcare given the insurance will cover me? I really don't want to as I have long-term prescriptions that the policy doesn't cover and they're really expensive. Thanks in advance

NO

cheers

By your words on a student budget does that mean your on a student visa? Because usually that would mean your not entitled to nz health care wouldn't it??

http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...ealth-services

No, the OP is not on a student visa - see his past posts.

Just wondering- if you get healthcare that covers GP visits and such, in general terms relatively low costs, wouldn't that be a lot more expensive than putting some money away for those visits? Usually private insurance that has no excess isn't that cheap- does that fit into your budget?

Normally all the basic insurance packages only covers surgeries and not the GP visits..If you want to cover the GP visits then you need to pay little higher insurance amount...For only GP visits i would suggest to keep some money away from you instead of taking insurance which you have to pay monthly.
    I pay $35 per month for myself towards insurance which covers only surgeries and for normal GP visits i pay straight away at the clinic.

Ok just thought he might be based on his wording... don't have time to read everyone's previous posts lol ! :-)