Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Time frame to be in NZ for Resident Visa?

Question Minimum Time frame to be in NZ for Resident Visa?

I read on this forum this scenario:

/////////////
    When talking within the context of minimum time frames, someone could actually:
    1. Enter NZ on a Resident Visa
    2. Leave the next day
    3. Come back after 23 months, just before their travel conditions expire
    4. Live in NZ for 2 years
    5. Apply for a Permanent Resident visa on the basis of their NZ residence for the past 2 years
    ///////////////

I would like to know it this is true and still applicable or not?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s_zahmak View Post
    I read on this forum this scenario:

/////////////
    When talking within the context of minimum time frames, someone could actually:
    1. Enter NZ on a Resident Visa
    2. Leave the next day
    3. Come back after 23 months, just before their travel conditions expire
    4. Live in NZ for 2 years
    5. Apply for a Permanent Resident visa on the basis of their NZ residence for the past 2 years
    ///////////////

I would like to know it this is true and still applicable or not?

Thanks
    Yes, you can provided you dont come on the last day before it expires. also you dont have to stay 2 years to apply for Permanent residence. You can apply after spending 183 days in each year after you have arrived.

also you dont have to stay 2 years to apply for Permanent residence. You can apply after spending 183 days in each year after you have arrived.
    That's a bit deceptive. 183 days isn't in the regulations - that isn't half a year. And notice, when it comes to applying for PR, INZ count the one-year periods BACKWARDS from the date of application - they will look at the 12 months before application, to see if the principle applicant was in the country for 184 days out of that year, then again at the 12 months before that. See the full requirements here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...to-new-zealand

Quote Originally Posted by nms.sun3 View Post
    Yes, you can provided you dont come on the last day before it expires. also you dont have to stay 2 years to apply for Permanent residence. You can apply after spending 183 days in each year after you have arrived.
    Thank you very much.
    Do you remember where did you read or know of this information?
    I just have to confirm it before I base my planning on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    to see if the principle applicant was in the country for 184 days out of that year, then again at the 12 months before that. See the full requirements here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...to-new-zealand
    So principle applicant only? Or all adults? Meaning spouse?
    In my case, I will come and live in NZ after before “first entry before” date on my visa, but my husband needs to stay for some time (around 18 months).
    I'm the principle applicant.
    He can stay outside NZ for 18 months to 20 months.
    He can apply for PR with me? Or later?
    Thanks

You have to apply for PR only after completing 2 years...but in each calendar year you should be in NZ for a minimum of 183 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Janardhan_cse View Post
    You have to apply for PR only after completing 2 years...but in each calendar year you should be in NZ for a minimum of 183 days.
    NO, that's not correct.

You don't "have to apply" at all. Only if you want to travel. the application cant be made till you have been a resident for 2 years. ( a date 2 years since your first arrival)
    It's 184 days in each of the two twelve month periods preceding the date of application.(not calendar year))

it all works on what the principal applicant has done. Others included in the application do not have to spend any time in NZ at all, after initial arrival to activate resident visa. Everyone included in the original residence application can be included in the PRV application unless they are previous dependents , now over the age of 18, in which case they need to make individual applications (but still based on principal applicants eligibility)

See http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/30505.htm
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 26th January 2017 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s_zahmak View Post
    So principle applicant only? Or all adults? Meaning spouse?
    In my case, I will come and live in NZ after before “first entry before” date on my visa, but my husband needs to stay for some time (around 18 months).
    I'm the principle applicant.
    He can stay outside NZ for 18 months to 20 months.
    He can apply for PR with me? Or later?
    Thanks
    Please see what ChrisMwn has just said, and the link to the INZ website. This is correct. I don't know why others are mentioning "183 days", since the INZ website plainly states differently.

Your husband MUST enter NZ to activate his visa before the date mentioned on it (or it would lapse). After that, he need not be in the country. It is your actions, since you are the principle applicant, which qualify for PR on behalf of everyone on the application.

What if during this period before a PA applies for PR. His/Her family holds a Resident Visa along with him and then a baby is born outside NZ?

If the resident-visa holder parents want to bring their foreign-born child to NZ to live with them, they can apply for him/her to have a visitor visa https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...s-visitor-visa, or residence, as a dependent child. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa S/He won't have any NZ status if s/he continues to live outside NZ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast