Thread: Panel Doctors

Default Panel Doctors

Been in health care a long time and I have never heard of this...fascinating stuff.

As for my question, I am currently an US Army Doctor. The US Department of State considers any active duty/full time military provider a paneled doctor. The question is does new zealand consider my military medical colleagues panel providers? Thoughts? I'm just trying to keep this simple and cheap.

Any feedback is requested.

chris

Here is the list of doctors in the USA who are approved by INZ to conduct the medical. http://onlineservices.immigration.go...=Guest&level=1

For Americans this can be bad news if the panel physician's practice is not in one's insurance coverage network. This means out of pocket expenses. Anyone else agree? I am guessing there is no way around this rule, only panel physicians can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    For Americans this can be bad news if the panel physician's practice is not in one's insurance coverage network. This means out of pocket expenses. Anyone else agree? I am guessing there is no way around this rule, only panel physicians can be used.
    Yes, anything to do with medical is expensive in the US.

If you are going to be in NZ for a visit, or another country, you can use any INZ panel doctor there, if that's cheaper. The Visa application needs to be lodged within 3 months of the medical being completed.
    Typical cost of a full INZ e-medical and X-ray completed at a panel doctor in NZ might be NZ$ 270-$400
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 27th January 2017 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure that this applies to almost every other country.., I definitely remember a lot of related posts from people in the UK.

Certainly for people in the UK, any voluntary procedure such as the INZ medical is not covered by the National Health Service (which provides, free, care and treatment made necessary by illness or injury). The medical carried out by a panel doctor is charged for at the full rate for private treatment. The panel doctors' fees vary widely enough that it is worth phoning round to enquire before making a booking. It has even been worth it for some people to travel right out of their own area and pay to stay away overnight to see a doctor with a much cheaper fee-structure than the one nearest their home.

And you're correct - there's no way round having to pay to see a panel doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Certainly for people in the UK, any voluntary procedure such as the INZ medical is not covered by the National Health Service (which provides, free, care and treatment made necessary by illness or injury).
    Just a gentle reminder that NHS services are not free. We pay for them through our taxes.

I'm British - I well know that. But the treatment is free at the point of delivery - the patient is not faced with a bill.

We are in South Africa and have private medical insurance, read our state hospitals are shocking. We were unable to claim our medicals back from our medical insurance either as it was for immigration purposes. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Our medicals cost us for 2 people almost the equivalent of USD600