Thread: Plywood boxes for shipping stuff

Question Plywood boxes for shipping stuff

I understand and respect that NZ has restrictions on wood shipping containers. However, it seems almost impossible that insects or viruses or any other sort of pest would survive plywood manufacturing. Can I get away with making a few plywood boxes for fragile items in my shipping container? Or will this get me in trouble with quarantine because they won't have the proper clearance stamps on them?

Whether the property is with you, or being shipped, you would need to declare items which are subject to biosecurity clearance. (See here http://www.mpi.govt.nz/travel-and-re...ms-to-declare/ for instance, and there are other pages regarding property being shipped if you search.) If officials find anything they are not happy about, they normally give the owner the option to discard the item that harbours the problem, or offer to have it fumigated at his/her expense.

When we shipped our piano, Allied Pickfords made a custom wood crate and the crate was a perfect fit. The piano arrived without a dent but the crate did cost us $600 because it needed to use special treated plywood to clear custom. The packing company is good at bubble wrapping everything. We had delicate oil paintings and after being wrapped by heavy duty tissue paper plus bubble wrapped plus put inside a box, they all arrived safely so perhaps should discuss with the moving company if you really need to have special plywood boxes.