Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying for SMC while under Talent Visa?

Default Applying for SMC while under Talent Visa?

Hi Everyone,

I'm interviewing for a job I applied for through a recruitment agency. They told me that the visa is for an "accredited" employer which would give me a two year work visa which I can then after the first 2 year convert into a permanent resident visa.

Actually I was prepared to go through the SMC process with EOI ITA and such, which would lead to a PR right from start, which is what me and my family actually are looking for. However, the recruiter said that I should not be worried too much, as I can start on the talent based visa and later apply for an SMC once I'm in NZ.

Is that correct information? Can one apply for another visa category while under a different one in the first place? Wouldn't I need another job offer and/or switch employers?

Thanks!

However, the recruiter said that I should not be worried too much, as I can start on the talent based visa and later apply for an SMC once I'm in NZ.
    That is entirely correct, and there is no need for change of job.

Wow, if I don't even need to find a new job for this, that's even better. So it basically means talent visa can be fast lane to start working and then one can take care of the resident visa.

Yes, exactly.

I just noticed your mention of 'PR', whereas actually, the visa you get when successful under SMC is 'Residence.' PR is a separate visa that you can qualify for after a minimum of two years as a Resident.

If you get the job offer and the employer sponsors you for a talent visa, that gives you the right to sponsor your partner for a work visa, see here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...k-visa-holders Dependent children of five or older can get student visas to match hers for length of time, and under fives, visitor visas to match for length of time also. (Link on that same page.) Then, when you apply under SMC, the whole family goes on the same application.

Ah ok, thank you so much for the additional info. I really wasn't aware of the distinction between Residence and PR. Good to know. I tend to believe now that talent based visa is quite the right option for me. I'm a bit worried that it binds me to one employer for two years. But the SMC would not give me any other benefit, except that I can switch jobs until I have accumulated the required work months for the SMC visa (3 months in Auckland, 12 month elsewhere). There will be another health check in order to gain PR after 2 years, right? Same as with talent visa, which can also be converted to PR after 2 years and if salary is over 90k (which it would be).

See here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident for the requirements for PR (and the Check Criteria button near the bottom of the page). No, there is no requirement for a medical for PR.

Thanks @JandM, that covered all my questions. Maybe this one is still present: if I go talent and then after 2 years for PR (because of >90k) it will require another medical exam, because I go to Residence for the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by yesno View Post
    Thanks @JandM, that covered all my questions. Maybe this one is still present: if I go talent and then after 2 years for PR (because of >90k) it will require another medical exam, because I go to Residence for the first time?
    We did this - from talent straight to permanent residency. In 2012 we needed a second medical, police check etc. May have changed since then so check on the website.

Here are the regulations, stating in what circumstances an older medical certificate can still count. http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/46161.htm

@JandM thanks again for the link, which does exactly answer all my questions now! Section d) seems to indicate that once if had a complete medical exam with my talent application, they may not require another medical if this was taken less than 36 months ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast