Thread: Resident Visa before I arrive questions

Default Resident Visa before I arrive questions

Hi Everybody.

I have been lurking for a while and I thought I should ask a question of my own.

I have a resident visa and I'm flying to NZ (Auckland) very soon.

The Visa conditions I have are:
    "Visa Conditions: Visa valid for further travel for 24 month(s) from first arrival. Initial stay subject to grant of entry permission. Visa is invalid if holder is outside NZ with expired travel conditions. Please apply for transfer of this visa when the passport expires."

The only think I'm a bit unclear about is the "Initial stay subject to grant of entry permission" part. I've read a bit about it and it doesn't seem like too much of a issue however I would just like to dot my i's and cross my t's.

Is this something I should be nervous about?

Is there anything I should ensure that I have with me?

I have a place to stay for a week while I look for something more permanent. Also my wife and child also have resident visa's however they are only coming once I have set things up (after about a month) will that be an issue (it will be well within the first entry time period)?

Thank you

This is just a form of words, and the reality is very easy. The 'entry permission' is granted when you present your passport with the visa in it to the Immigration desk upon arrival at the airport. The official will scan it, stamp it, and very likely say, 'Welcome home.'

There is no problem about your family travelling separately from you (within the deadline) - the same thing will happen to them.

By the way, you can all go to the line for NZers.

'Welcome home.' That sounds amazing!

JandM I've read a lot of your advice (to other posters) and I would like to personally say that I appreciate all the effort you have done to help people here on this forum.

So there is nothing I need to have with me that the officer may want to see?

I don't think so. S/He will know that you have been through a rigorous checking procedure already.

Safe journey, and happy landings!

Thank you! Looking forward to it.