Thread: NCEA/CIE recognition

Default NCEA/CIE recognition

Hi there,

We are planning to make the move if my NZ nursing reg is approved. I have a potential job offer with 2 year working visa/permit attached and would be coming with my husband and 3 kids age 7, 11 and 13.

I am an over-thinker and the long term plan would be to extend the visa/get citizenship, but if that was not possible, or we just changed our minds and wanted to come back to the UK, how recognised would my eldest's school achievements be back on the UK now? She is currently in year 8.

I have read lots of forum posts and blogs etc that state that only CIE will be recognised at international universities, not NCEA, but all of these have been 3-5 years old. Has NCEA become more internationally recognised yet? Do most school offer both routes or only certain ones offer the CIE route?

Many thanks!

Can't tell you about NCEA recognition but one thing to be aware of is that at present if you return to the UK, you have to be resident for 3 years to qualify for university domestic fees in England.

See the formal statement here, and the links. http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/studying-in-...-requirements/

NZQA will need to update that soon now that GCSE grades A*-C are disappearing in England
    Last edited by girlwithanewf; 3rd February 2017 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    See the formal statement here, and the links. http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/studying-in-...-requirements/
    Thankyou that's so helpful, I was going round and round in circles!

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    NZQA will need to update that soon now that GCSE grades A*-C are disappearing in England
    Yes my niece is in the the Guinea pig year for this, I think it will cause huge confusion. Thanks for the advice on the three year thing too, I think I had read that somewhere else, but I think I also read that if you were out of the U.K. For less than 3 years that you still qualify for domestic fees. It's all too complicated, would have been so much easier to do this 20 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    This link is fantastic.
    Thanks a lot !
    We intend to settle in Wellington but there are no public high schools there for girls offering CIE....
    Only private. So we were having the same questions about NCEA and eventual study outside of NZ later for our girls.