Thread: Where to live?

Default Where to live?

Greetings all,

My girlfriend & I have just applied for visas. I have been awarded mine (working holiday visa) and she is just waiting for hers to come through. We now have a couple of months to decide where we want to move to in New Zealand, the world is our lobster as they say..

So I thought I would use this forum to help shape our plans and hear of other people's experiences and advice. I have a completely open mind and not going to rule out anything just yet, however, there are some preferences;

Firstly, climate. We live in the north of England right now and would really prefer somewhere with a much warmer and sunnier environment. I believe Auckland can get quite cloudy/rainy? and also been doing some research on Wellington.

Secondly, jobs. I'm assuming the biggest cities will offer the best chances of getting a job and opportunities? My missus is a fully qualified accountant I think eligible as a skilled migrant.

Finally, quality of life. I don't want to be living in a remote and isolated area. Meeting new people and making friends will be very important so want somewhere that offers groups, sports, pubs etc. Any rugby league outside of Auckland?

If you've made it this far, thanks! appreciate any input.

Climate. I suggest you look here https://www.wunderground.com/nz/auckland, then scroll down to the Almanac - History section, where you can go through a whole year to see what the weather was actually doing, and do the same for other NZ places as well. This will give you a better idea than hearsay, when it's hard to know what the other person may be comparing with - what is 'normal' for them.

Rugby League. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/new...es.cfm?c_id=79

There are Rugby League clubs all around NZ. You can play or just watch.

Great to know, a great game and I have great memories playing the game. When we move there, I'll get involved again somehow.