Thread: Residency with demerit point

Default Residency with demerit point

Hi there , i got one question and if you got the negative answer please advice me to make it right. Here it goes

I got pulled over my police and got fine for using mobile phone and got 20 demerit point. Well i am on a work visa and i was thinking to apply for recideny. With that demerit point will i be able to get recidency or not? If not then how can i improve. I live in auckland now.

Thanks

Was this incident dealt with at the roadside by the officer issuing you a fine - giving you the paper right there and then? Or did you have to go to court?

Nope it was just i gave my address and she said i will receive a mail of fine with 20 demerit points.

So that hasn't given you a criminal record. It's an infringement, not an offence. Here http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/35058.htm is a list of the things in someone's past which would mean they could have difficulty getting residence.

Hmm so does that mean i am still on safe side? And what about the demerit point? Does it affact in my points while applying?

INZ are not concerned unless an offence has been committed, one of those on the list at that link.

Demerit points on your driving licence are nothing to do with immigration.

However, be warned. The NZ police are very strict on traffic law. This first time, you got a roadside fine. If you are caught breaking the law in your car again, the system would show you have had this previous infringement, and that other time, you would get a court summons, a more serious punishment, and start to build a police record. That CAN be a hindrance for getting later visas.