Thread: IQA - Definition of "Transcript"

Default IQA - Definition of "Transcript"

Good morning,

I've been having a look through the forum to get more information on whether it's clear what NZQA consider a transcript. The reason I ask is because of what they mention on their website.

"We ask for your record of study in order to help us understand the content of your qualification. If your record of study doesn't have detailed information on it about your papers or grades, please also provide a syllabus or course outline of your qualification. If you don't have this in your possession, you'll need to contact your education provider for help."

NZQA advised me that all they require is a transcript, which they said was a list of papers studied, and grades/points achieved supported by the official certificate. That is my understanding of a transcript too, just a list of papers and grades.

They advised that if they require detailed syllabus information that they will request that later from the University and have it sent directly to them.

Does that sound correct based on people's experience? It just seems different to the website guidance that seems to want it up front. I can't provide it up otherwise I would send it with my application.

Appreciate some feedback - I know it's talked about a lot on here, but you always want to make sure you're working with the most recent guidance from NZQA.

Thanks!

We indeed provided the original degrees and list of subjects studied and the correponding grades obtained and the translations and that was enough for NZQA
    That was in April 2016 and we did not have to provide anything else than this.

Hi nzfrog, does that mean if you have degree received through the convocation ceremony and supporting marksheet which includes the list of subjects and corresponding marks obtained, it should be sufficient enough? Please clarify asap if possible.

Yes that is what we gave to NZQA and in our case it was sufficient. But if thay need anything else be sure they will contact you by e-mail, they will not simply refuse to assess, they will write to you in details what else they need. But it will take more time then...

My school offers to send the transcript either to me, or to another organization (I think the idea is that when sent directly instead of through me, there's no possibility that I could tamper with it?). But I would assume that NZQA would prefer to get all the documents in a single packet. So do you think it's okay to have the transcript sent to me so I can enclose it with the application?

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    My school offers to send the transcript either to me, or to another organization (I think the idea is that when sent directly instead of through me, there's no possibility that I could tamper with it?). But I would assume that NZQA would prefer to get all the documents in a single packet. So do you think it's okay to have the transcript sent to me so I can enclose it with the application?
    yes, and if comes in a sealed envelope saying :"do not open", then rip it open and check its contents before forwarding to NZQA with your degree certificate. NZQA don't care!

I received a response from NZQA who said if they need additional information they would contact my university directly themselves and arrange for the documents to be sent to them.

Initially a transcript showing the degree, papers taken and grades is all they need. Presumably by grades they also mean the points (assuming all universities use a points system as well)

I understand that you need originals or copies that have been endorsed/signed/approved by a a lawyer/JP. They need transcripts (degree name, papers, grades) and an approved copy of your degree in the first instance, and will request further course details if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by richnz View Post
    I understand that you need originals or copies that have been endorsed/signed/approved by a a lawyer/JP. They need transcripts (degree name, papers, grades) and an approved copy of your degree in the first instance, and will request further course details if necessary.
    Exactly.