Thread: PR for non-principal applicant

Default PR for non-principal applicant

We have been approved for a resident visa recently.
    I'm the principal applicant and my partner and my child are the dependents (non-principal applicants).
    I have some questions about applying for a permanent resident visa (PR) after having a resident visa for 2 years.

Q1: My child and I will be in NZ for a total of 184 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months but my partner might not be.
    If my partner doesn't stay in NZ for the period required (184 days in each year), can he still get a PR?

Operation Manual says "RV2.5.1 Significant period of time spent in New Zealand,
    A principal applicant has demonstrated a commitment to New Zealand if they have been in
    New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in each of the two 12-month
    portions of the 24 months immediately preceding the date the date their application for a
    permanent resident visa was made (ie, in each of the two 12-month portions, a period or
    periods that amount to 184 days or more)."
    Q2: Is that means only the principal applicant is required to meet this requirement and non-principal applicants don't need to?
    If so, once I met the requirements, can I include my partner and my child in my PR application?

Thanks in advance!

You, the principle applicant, qualify for PR on behalf of everyone on your original application. As long as your partner was in NZ and activated his Residence visa before the deadline, then he will get PR when you do, regardless of his time in and out of the country.

Thanks JandM for your kind reply.

We got resident visa in NZ. So our resident visas are already activated, aren't they?
    I just want to make sure that the only requirement for the grant of a permanent resident visa to a non-principal applicant (my partner and my child) is that the principal applicant (I) must hold a permanent resident visa. So the non-principal applicants don't need to demonstrate any of commitment to NZ as long as they are included in my permanent residence application.
    Am I correct?

Yes. RV1.20 b applies to your family. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45650.htm

Thanks very much, JandM.

Hello,

Thanks JandM for you answer, I was just about to ask the same question

I have one more question for which I did not find the answer. I am the principal applicant and I just got residency but my partner's application has been deferred for a few weeks. If she finally gets a positive answer, what will happen the day I am eligible for PR? Will she get PR at the same time than I or will she have to wait until she has hold a resident visa for at least 2 years?

Thanks in advance!

If her application is as a secondary applicant on your residence application, then RV1.20 b should apply to her, too.

However, don't forget that you don't HAVE TO apply for PR the very second you have been a resident for two years. If you're worried about her not having had the two years (which I don't think should actually matter, though), you could just wait the few weeks till she HAS, and apply for both of you then. INZ count backwards from the date of application to check eligibility.

Thanks JandM. I have the same understanding than you about 3.20, so it should be fine

I know we don't have to apply for PR after 2 years but the sooner we are free to come and go, the better it is!