Thread: Best Phone plans for call and data

Default Best Phone plans for call and data

Hello

We are moving next month to Auckland and wondering which phone plan to choose? Also, We would like to get the Data plan (I read 4G is available). Are there family plans available that can help reduce the cost?

Can someone please guide us in this direction?

Thank you very much

In my experience it really depends on your personal phone usage ie do you mostly txt? or call? make international calls? use a lot of data or mostly free wifi? etc, then you find a plan that suits your needs.
    My family's 3 phones are with 3 different providers, there are several providers to choose from and they each have lots of different plans, either 'on account' or 'prepay'. Yes there are family plans, or plans with free minutes to one number, etc.
    Have a look at
    Spark
    Vodafone
    2degrees
    Skinny
    (I've probably forgotten some others)

Be sure to have a look at Skinny Direct as well - https://skinnydirect.co.nz/combos/. They offer the best value for data in my opinion, your mileage might vary.

2 degrees and international option for 300 mins
    then calling cards at Indian grocery stores
    Then skype whatsapp etc which uses broadband need to get broadband I would say

Thanks everyone! I am looking at these

"Top tips for the best mobile and data deals"
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/diana-clem...ectid=11801205

Arrow

Anyone have any experience with Skinny Direct? They have some great plans, but they also have an oddball 0204 prefix. Would this be looked at as strange when most of the legacy carriers have three digit prefix? For example Telecom/Spark 027?
    I don't want anyone to think I'm giving them an international number when I tell them my phone is 0204....

So strong is my aversion to this, I've thought of signing up with Spark prepay then porting the phone number over to Skinny Direct.

Skinny's prefix is actually 020. Their phone numbers start with 4. Spark's include 021 and 027. 2 Degrees 022. But people also migrate numbers when they change telecoms, so you could have an 022 number on Spark.

That's good information. So are Skinny phone numbers the same length as Spark phone numbers, or more digits?

Older numbers with 021 are often only 6 additional digits. Most new numbers are 7 additional digits.

One other consideration: if you plan on exploring regional or rural NZ, check the coverage for Skinny. I'm on 2 Degrees and in some parts of the North Island the coverage is poor. But if you'll only (or mostly) be in cities and towns, coverage should not be an issue.