Thread: Making Move to NZ from Malaysia (Current location in Singapore)

Cool Making Move to NZ from Malaysia (Current location in Singapore)

My wife and I will be moving to NZ (Auckland most probably) from Singapore around 10~14 April.
    We will be taking flight in Kuala Lumpur (Airasia).

Accommodation:
    We are now starting to look for accommodation. Any website suggested for house hunting?
    So far i checked in "trade me". Are we able to rent a property or we need to hunt for it after entering NZ?

The best is to arrange for short term accommodation 1-2 weeks, and then look for a rental when you have landed. Many people would say don't sign it until you've seen it. Most agencies and landlords would advertise on trademe and many would not return your calls or emails unless you are in NZ.

Hi am in the same position - where would I go to look for short term rental - any websites in Auckland to recommend? I would be taking your advice and looking for a 1 to 2 week lease - would this only be limited to Air BnB or do you know of a site that does short term stays?

Also if you anyone reading this has a suggestion - I have a daughter going to start Year 7 so I am looking for a middle school or intermediate to put her into. Anyone have a good suggestion on fairly high decile public intermediate schools to look at in Auckland or the North Shore (where rental is cheaper). I note that I have to rent within the school zone so would welcome some suggestions to start narrowing down areas. Thanks so much!

Airbnb, Holiday Houses, Bookabach have short term accommodation for short stays. Hotel websites like Agoda, Booking.com, Trivago etc do have motels, self-catering apartments which have special rates for longer stays. It depends a lot on where you intend to stay permanently. You won't find many motels/hotels and apartments on the North Shore.

The issue of schooling is so wide ranging that it would be hard to recommend one school over another based on so many unknowns. There are many good schools in Auckland and it would be more your responsibility to narrow your search down to where you intend to live. The one thing that is clear, is that rentals near good and popular schools tend to be in demand and expensive.

Thanks for this - will most certainly checkout the links. I have noticed that there are more intermediate schools on the Auckland side so I suppose I will have to land up there rather than in the North Shore area although rentals around North Shore seem far more reasonable for a larger and newer home. Thank you very much for replying!

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    The best is to arrange for short term accommodation 1-2 weeks, and then look for a rental when you have landed. Many people would say don't sign it until you've seen it. Most agencies and landlords would advertise on trademe and many would not return your calls or emails unless you are in NZ.
    Thanks for the advise.

Good and popular schools are strict on enrolment zones. You need to demonstrate commitment to staying within the zone. The only way to see if the school is suitable for your daughter is to drop in and check it out personally.