Thread: Dear young people (aged 24-30)?

Question Dear young people (aged 24-30)?

Hello,

I'm turning 24 soon. The reason I asked for people within the specified age range, is because I would like to know the challenges they faced when immigrating in NZ. Some might be fresh out of university or worked hard in another country to improve their skills and education and experience to match the via requirements.

I'm in the latter category as there are some areas I need to tackle to ensure to matched the visa requirements well.

Any info would be appreciated.

24 lol pff I came here at 22 lol challleange is getting residence and find skilled employment. However ))) main challenge is money which u need. I spent around 300000-350000k for five years living here .... but my parents pay for me and after graduation I easily find job in my skilled employment

Hi 0909

I wouldn't say the challenges you face in terms of work/visas are any different from anyone else, and all you need to do is find a company that need your expertise. In fact it's a great time to do it, as most people who emigrate to NZ tend to take a step or two back in terms of their career, and when you are still young its much easier to do that and work your way up. INZ encourage young people in this age bracket to emigrate, as you'll see from the points you get for age

If you have a recognised degree, or can get it suitably accessed by NZQA, you should be well on your way already. Every occupation is different, and you'd need to have a look at the ANZSCO requirements. For work experience make sure that it can be classified as relevant work experience, if you are working in a country that is not on the INZ list, make sure your job responsibilities and duties are very closely related as you could still make a case for it. Make sure, even right now, that you get proper work references from all your previous employers(if any), and just try to get all your documents in order(unabridged birth certificate, passport, degree etc). If you have all the documents in order it will make your life a whole lot easier going forward, especially if you get to NZ on a work visa for instance, and then when applying for residence you realise you need all these other documents(and they all NEED to be original, digital copies won't do). You would surprised at the amount of people who apply for residence and have needed to wait a very long time just to get the various documents in order, as they need to go back and forth between their home country and NZ.

Having said all that, dealing with INZ and providing all the documents to them is generally the easier part - the hard part is finding and employer in NZ that is willing to offer you a job. And for this you just need to keep hunting, and try to make yourself as marketable as possible in your field. Look at jobs that are possibly not available to you right now, and see what they are looking for in candidates...and just keep looking, there are many people who don't find jobs quick and easy and just give up, but I can tell you just to carry on, you'll make it!

Good luck!