Thread: US certified copy of the passport bio page

Lightbulb US certified copy of the passport bio page

I was scratching my head over how to get a certified copy, google results all seemed to be pointing me to "record" requests from the Department of State. That turns out to be not at all what you need. This post on an Australian immigration forum cleared me up:
    http://www.australiaforum.com/visas-...ed-states.html

So, this is not something you need to formally request from the issuing body. What you do is google a form called "certified copy by document custodian" and fill it out, bring it with your passport down to a notary, and apparently they just need to watch you make a photocopy and fill in their part of the form. Notaries will tell you they can't notarize such documents. They aren't actually "notarizing" your passport copy, what they are doing is affirming that they saw the copy made and it matches the original you presented. But you are the one swearing that it's real. Legal mumbo jumbo, but whatever, at least you don't have to go through the government channels :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    I was scratching my head over how to get a certified copy, google results all seemed to be pointing me to "record" requests from the Department of State. That turns out to be not at all what you need. This post on an Australian immigration forum cleared me up:
    http://www.australiaforum.com/visas-...ed-states.html

So, this is not something you need to formally request from the issuing body. What you do is google a form called "certified copy by document custodian" and fill it out, bring it with your passport down to a notary, and apparently they just need to watch you make a photocopy and fill in their part of the form. Notaries will tell you they can't notarize such documents. They aren't actually "notarizing" your passport copy, what they are doing is affirming that they saw the copy made and it matches the original you presented. But you are the one swearing that it's real. Legal mumbo jumbo, but whatever, at least you don't have to go through the government channels :-)
    yes, all a bit confusing if you are trying to do this in the US.

All that is required, for INZ purposes is for a US "notary" to place their stamp on the documents, as witnessed by them ("my commission expires xx xx xx")
    I don't think California has any issues doing this.
    A notarised (and authenticated copy) with an affadavit attached is not necessay for INZ purposes, but may be all that you can get in some states.

Your mention is the first time i have ever heard of a US "Notary" suggesting that you must copy the document in front of them!

Keep it as simple as you can and hopefully those US lawyers wont charge you a fortune for what is a simple task and free if done in NZ!

Fundamentally all that is required is for an official to comfirm that document "A" (original ) matches document "B"(copy), not necessatrily that the record itself has been checked and authenticated.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 13th February 2017 at 08:56 AM.

meant to refer to US "Commisioner for Oaths" rather than notary in some states.

I imagine this is definitely a "your mileage may vary" thing as the posts I was reading seemed to regard this as a grey area for the notaries.