Thread: Arranged marriage visa advice needed

Default Arranged marriage visa advice needed

Hi Everyone,

My situation is as follows: I have been a NZ citizen for more than 15 years. I will be having a arranged marriage. I got engaged to my fiance who lives in Pakistan last October and I am planning to get married in NZ later this year in October/November. In order for my fiance to be able to settle in NZ after our wedding, I understand the following:

(1) Apply for a visitor visa under the "culturally arranged marriage" category (which I believe is valid for 3 months) and get married in NZ and start living together and document evidence of relationship.

(2) Then apply for a "partnership sponsored work visa" which is valid for 12 months

(3) During the 12 months, we live together and gather evidence and after 12 months, apply for a "partnership resident visa".

My concerns are these;

If my fiance comes to NZ for the purpose of getting married under "arranged marriage visitor visa", and during this time we apply for "partnership sponsored work visa", what happens if the work visa application is still in process and 3 months for the visitor visa are up? Does my fiance have to leave the country even though the "partnership sponsored work visa" application is in progress?

After my fiance is in NZ and we get married within the 3 months period, can I only apply "partnership sponsored work visa" after the 3 months have finished?

Thanks for your help in advance

what happens if the work visa application is still in process and 3 months for the visitor visa are up?
    As long as a person applies for a temporary visa while their previous temporary visa is still valid, INZ can issue an interim visa, which keeps them legally living in NZ during the processing. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/interim-visa

No, you can't wait till AFTER the three months of the first visitor visa are finished before your lady applies for her partner-sponsored work visa - the application must go in before the visa expires. It's all right if you have just a few days before expiry. Make sure you gather as much evidence as possible that you are living together. See old threads for suggestions. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof

Hi JandM, Thanks a lot for your reply. As mentioned above that we are planning to get married in October/November. Is it best to apply for Visitor Visa soon (e.g. in one month's time) or should we apply closer to time?
    When they say that a visitor visa is valid for three months; do the three months start as soon as the visa is granted or does it start from the time a person enters the country?
    When a NZ visitor visa is granted, is there a time limit by which a person must visit NZ? e.g. after the visitor visa is granted, the person must visit within 5 months etc...

You biggest issue might be , whether your finace can meet the requirements below,
    http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/46505.htm

In particular demonstrating a culture of arrange marriage, V3.35 a ii and V 3.35.1

Hi Everyone,

Similar to this thread I have pasted below. I would like to clarify something.
    My situation is as follows: I have been a NZ citizen for more than 15 years. I will be having a arranged marriage. I got engaged to my fiance who lives in Pakistan last October and I am planning to get married in NZ later this year. My intention is for my fiance to be able to settle in NZ after our wedding, I understand the following:

(1) Apply for a visitor visa under the "culturally arranged marriage" category (which I believe is valid for 3 months) and get married in NZ and start living together and document evidence of relationship.
    (2) Then apply for a "partnership sponsored work visa" which is valid for 12 months

(3) During the 12 months, we live together and gather evidence and after 12 months, apply for a "partnership resident visa".

https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47244

My concern are this;
    On NZ immigration website it states that even under the culturally arranged marriage visitor visa they need to see evidence of “on wards travel”. So in other words that my fiance intends on leaving the country after the marriage. But that is not the case, we want to use that time to “live together” and collect evidence for partnership work visa.
    So in my application for CAM visitor visa, shall we state that our intention is for my fiance to settle in NZ through partnership work visa? Will INZ decline our CAM visitor visa application because my fiance’ intentions are to stay in NZ through partnership based work visa?
    Or shall I not mention that my fiance’ plans to apply for partnership based work visa?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

See here, under Criteria, and Onward Travel. http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/30505.htm

This provision is just in case the incoming intending partner does not after all go through with the marriage, ensuring they would have the means to leave the country, and would not be stranded for lack of a way to go home. It is not supposing that someone who actually marries will leave again.

Hi, I am applying for a Visitor Visa for my fiance under the "Culturally arranged marriage" category.

There are two requirements which I need clarification on:

One of the requirements is “confirmation from an independent source that the arrangement or ceremony is part of the couple’s cultural customs"

What is considered independent source? Will a family friend who is not my relative count as an independent source?

Another requirement is “Evidence there is no legal impediment to the intended marriage because you are not close relatives and neither of you are already married”

What is an example of this evidence? Basically I am not sure what evidence I can give?

Your help will be much appreciated

There isn't anything official that sets this out. There is just this fact-sheet. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...e-visitor-visa

About the 'independent source', I should think the family friend would be one possibility. How about a religious leader also?

“Evidence there is no legal impediment to the intended marriage because you are not close relatives and neither of you are already married”
    Again, this is just my logic. I should think that if you both supply your birth certificates, showing who your parents are, it will be obvious that you are not related in the forbidden degrees. As to not being married, I don't know - possibly letters from friends and family? But if in doubt, ask INZ what they can accept.

Thank you very much for your reply. It is really helpful indeed. Religious/community leader will be good evidence and also the birth certificates will be a good idea also.

May I kindly clarify one other point please.

Another clarification I would like to make is regarding if chest x-ray certificate is required when applying for arranged marriage visitor visa.
    The condition for chest x-ray depends on whether the applicant is planning to stay less than six months or between 6 months and 12 months.

Arranged marriage visitor visa is valid for three months, however after getting married in NZ my finance’ will apply for work visa and eventually intents to settle here through the resident visa.

Hence when applying for visitor visa to immigration NZ, do we provide chest X-ray certificate because my fiance's intention is to settle in NZ?

Should my fiance’ declare her intention of settling in NZ to immigration NZ when applying for arranged marriage visitor visa? or is that not necessary?

I think, as a matter of common sense, although the regulations don't state it, your fiancée had better provide the chest X-ray, and state the intention of staying on on a partnership visa after the marriage has taken place and you have established some evidence of living together.