Thread: Cheapest way to transfer money from your home country's bank to a bank in NZ?

Default Cheapest way to transfer money from your home country's bank to a bank in NZ?

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to NZ from Singapore. I still have all my money in my Singapore bank account, and want to get it transferred to my ANZ account. I do not want to go through a direct bank transfer if possible (you get slapped with fees from both countrie's banks PLUS get a really shitty exchange rate).

Does anyone have experience doing this and which company did you use? I have looked into HiFX, but really haven't liked their customer service and had issues transferring with them. Transferwise looks great, but apparently you need to be IN singapore to verify all your IDS and i'm already in New Zealand. Moneygram wanted to charge a $245 fee just to make the transfer!

I'm guessing just withdrawing directly from an ATM will give me pretty terrible exchange rates too

If anyone knows any other companies they can recommend or what they found was the best to transfer over $5000, please let me know! A bad exchange rate can really make you lose out on a lot

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Racergirl View Post
    Hi everyone,

I recently moved to NZ from Singapore. I still have all my money in my Singapore bank account, and want to get it transferred to my ANZ account. I do not want to go through a direct bank transfer if possible (you get slapped with fees from both countrie's banks PLUS get a really shitty exchange rate).

Does anyone have experience doing this and which company did you use? I have looked into HiFX, but really haven't liked their customer service and had issues transferring with them. Transferwise looks great, but apparently you need to be IN singapore to verify all your IDS and i'm already in New Zealand. Moneygram wanted to charge a $245 fee just to make the transfer!

I'm guessing just withdrawing directly from an ATM will give me pretty terrible exchange rates too

If anyone knows any other companies they can recommend or what they found was the best to transfer over $5000, please let me know! A bad exchange rate can really make you lose out on a lot

Thank you!
    Have you tried currencyonline or pay2home? I have used pay2home personally and they charge 20$ fee for every transfer. I believe you can only transfer a max of 10K SGD. You can open an account online and send across the docs via email for them to verify. It took 2 working days to receive the funds @ NZ from SG.

I use Pay2Home several times now. They only charge $20 regardless of the transaction amount.
    You need to call them to arrange any amount more than $10,000. They will be able to provide rate and instruction to you.
    It usually takes 2-3 working days to deposit into NZ banks (Provided you use FAST method in SG)

Hi

I Use worldremit. they are the best, cheapest transaction fee, I think it is $3.99 and very good exchange rate as compare to others. You can also have a look at westernunion.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by zajnic View Post
    I use Pay2Home several times now. They only charge $20 regardless of the transaction amount.
    You need to call them to arrange any amount more than $10,000. They will be able to provide rate and instruction to you.
    It usually takes 2-3 working days to deposit into NZ banks (Provided you use FAST method in SG)
    Thanks everyone! I just registered myself with Pay2Home, but it also says they need to meet me in person in Singapore? I have sent them an email to see if i can still do the transfer even though i am already in New Zealand. It seems like all the companies who can transfer from Singapore require you to be IN the country

Harryj, i checked out worldremit, but they don't do SGD to NZD unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by hhimanshu View Post
    Yes i did. Both Transferwise and Pay2home require you to be IN SINGAPORE to make the transfer (