Thread: Is it necessary to have a sponsor for a student visa?

Lightbulb Is it necessary to have a sponsor for a student visa?

I am asking on behalf of my friend who is wanting to further his son's education in New Zealand. His son is a straight A and A+ student, therefore his parents think he might have a really bright future here in new zealand. He is 17 years old and in year 12 nz equivalent at the moment.
    I have browsed around in the search to find out whether it is necessary or not to have a sponsor, and I could not find the actual information about it. Please clarify me on this matter please.

In the immigration nz website, it says something the evident that we have to provide such finance, health and ...etc.
    The particular one i want to ask is finance. If he were to apply for student visa without sponsorship, would he need to provide financial statement for 1 year, accomodation for 1 year and health insurance? How is he going to get an accommodation before he gets here?

If he were to be sponsored, is he going to have to be sponsored all the way?

Thanks guys in advance!

His son only needs certain amount money in his son's own bank account. The amount depends on the duration of the student visa he is applying for. For international student normally $8000 for a half year student visa after paying the tuition fee. You can find official details on INZ website.

Does he have to show that he has money to pay for all the school fee, accomodation, living cost for each year?
    Also, I can see in the INZ website that he will need to have health insurrance, how much will it cost roughly please?