Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entrepreneur visa

Default Entrepreneur visa

Can anyone tell me if they are currently going through the visa application process please? I am finding so much conflicting advice and information on this way of entry, even from my immigration consultant. I am currently living in the Uk and looking to buy a business in NZ. I really need to know what happens when your business is established aftar a few years, what is the possibility of you getting chucked back out if the business doesn't meet your expectations and forecasts.
    Thanks
    Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I can't answer all your questions but can comment on my experiences. I applied in April '13 and received approval in March '14. We moved to NZ in October 14. We found a person who had a property and was willing to 'build to suit'. Construction began in March 15 and we took occupancy in October and opened in February. The process of setting up the business, getting required consent approvals, alcohol licensing (we are a restaurant and brewery) was incredibly easy; in fact the process was orders of magnitude easier than our experiences in the states. During this time we had to request two extensions of our LTBV (initially they gave us 9 months, then a 12 month, and finally the remainder). All they wanted was for us to show that progress was being made. Our plan now is to apply for the entrepreneur residency in a few months. Immigration (and in particular the business migration branch) have been very helpful and any worries (same as yours) have been alleviated. The only regret I have is that we didn't do this years ago. Absolutely love living in NZ, kids love school, and life is grand! Don't hesitate if I can help in any other ways and best of luck! Cheers!

Thanks, so useful! I do have another question. Can you tell me more about the property you bought? Or are you renting? I am thinking of buying a large house that we can convert to a business which will include running courses within. Is this what you did, convert a residential property? Because this is also giving you a home and you are investing enough capital to meet the points criteria, for me this is an option, if allowed. Thanks Cheryl

I think there are limits on what kind of activities you can run from home and the size of your business. A quick google popped up this summary - https://bizhub.anz.co.nz/resources/r...from-home.aspx

You could also check with the local council to find out what their district plan rules are. What area are you thinking about?

Who did you use for advice and application?

Hi Cheryl,

We found a property where the owner would "build to suit" and then signed a long term lease with him. We've always strived to keep our business and personal life separate and won't comingle the two (two much liability). We did the application ourselves; it is very, very straightforward application.
    Cheers,
    Mic

How has the application process been, Heynekamp? We are looking to build a business (slowly) while on student/work visa in the meanwhile and trying to learn as much about the process as possible.

Our application took about a year. I believe we applied in March '13 and received approval in April '14. We applied for residency in December '16 and have just received a follow up question asking for evidence of partnership and verification that our employees are NZ citizens/residents. Application process is straightforward; I did it all myself using Adobe Acrobat but then also used Microsoft word to create a document for all the additional explanations, additional items needed like fingerprint cards, background checks, business information, etc. that was then put into a binder with tabs and an easy to read table of contents. I believe the easier your file is to open, read, and comprehend the faster the process is but that is just my theory

Oh, so you did the Entrepreneurship Work Permit and then following this with the Entrepreneurship Residency Visa? The current requirements look like the "3 NZ citizen employees and capital of $500,000" requirements are for those who want the residency visa from the get-go. The way I read it is that if you have been running the business for two years before applying for the residency visa, you wouldn't need to fulfill this criteria. If I'm not mistaken, the requirements have changed a couple of times in the past year. I checked in June 2016 and then revisited the idea recently and noticed that it wasn't the same requirements. But there is always a possibility that I was/am mistaken.

There are two paths to residency but both begin with a business visa (now Entrepreneur Work Visa). From the immigration website for the Entrepreneur residency: …you’re already in New Zealand on an Entrepreneur Work Visa or another visa that allows self-employment, and you want to live in New Zealand on a permanent basis. If you’re granted this visa, you’ll be able to continue operating your business in New Zealand and stay here indefinitely. Essentially the Entrepreneur Work Visa gives you the chance to come and start a business. If successful by the two different Entrepreneur Residency paths you can gain residency. One requires your business to be operational and meeting goals for 24 months and the other for six months. We weren't able to get our business open fast enough to have it open for 24 months before our 36 months Long Term Business Visa (now Entreprenuer Work Visa) expired so had to meet the requirements under having a business open 6 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast