Thread: Best route to apply for visa?

Default Best route to apply for visa?

Hi my partner has a job offer in Canterbury but this job can be done by a local. I don't have a job offer but my skills would fall in to the long term skills shortage list (just!).

My question is - would my partner apply for a work visa (as he has a job offer) then I apply for the partnership work visa or do I apply for a work visa (without a job offer) and he applies for the partnership work visa (as there are no restrictions on who he works for then).

Does anyone know if I am likely to get a work visa approved without a job offer? I am looking for a Practice Manager type job or Medical Administrator or ICT Trainer as my experience covers all these roles.

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by olliepoppy View Post
    Hi my partner has a job offer in Canterbury but this job can be done by a local. I don't have a job offer but my skills would fall in to the long term skills shortage list (just!).

My question is - would my partner apply for a work visa (as he has a job offer) then I apply for the partnership work visa or do I apply for a work visa (without a job offer) and he applies for the partnership work visa (as there are no restrictions on who he works for then).

Does anyone know if I am likely to get a work visa approved without a job offer? I am looking for a Practice Manager type job or Medical Administrator or ICT Trainer as my experience covers all these roles.

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance
    Hi,

Here is the response for you question https://www.govt.nz/browse/immigrati...r-a-work-visa/

•you have a job offer from an NZ employer
    •you're coming for a particular work-related purpose or event
    •you've been studying here and now want to work, or
    •your partner's here and you want to join them and work.

You can't get a work visa without having a job offer, unless it's a partner-sponsored temporary work visa or some other kind of open visa (only given in particular circumstances). Normal temporary work visas all have details of the job included.

If your partner is being sponsored by an employer for a work visa, then you could get a partnership work visa depending on his work visa. Once in NZ, if you find a skilled job, you could, if you and it qualify, apply for residence under SMC, including your partner in the application.

Thank you.. Sounds like it might be better to put in an EOI then? Not sure my partner will get the visa as there are locals available to do the job?

If your partner has been given a definite job offer, presumably the employer hasn't found any local who is SUITABLE to do the job now. This is the procedure the employer has to go through in order to sponsor someone for an essential skills visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/empl...al-skills-visa If he has done that, and nobody who applied is right for the position, he has the right to support a foreigner. Alternatively, if the employer is accredited, he has already cleared it with INZ that he can sponsor people for the Talent (Accredited Employer) visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...residence-visa

The employer has recently employed a local but still wants to offer my partner a job. I am unsure at the moment if there are no more suitable candidates available for this job. The employer seems to be expanding as has employed at least 2 local people since he first offered my partner a position. We are visiting NZ next week with a view to my partner volunteering with this employer for 3 days to basically see if both parties are happy. My concern would be this employer has not employed a migrant before so would maybe be unaware of the requirements. I've applied for jobs also and have had interest from an employer but they wanted me to have the visa first. Its not easy! Thank you for your helpful advice so far and links to the correct information which is invaluable :-)

Be careful. Volunteering in most cases can't be done without a visa. I'll give you the link a little later when not on my phone.

I thought it was ok as it is only for a short period and he will not be receiving any recompense at all in any form. I look forward to getting the link so I can make sure!

Here's the page about employment law https://employment.govt.nz/starting-...ee/volunteers/, which shows the provisos about a work trial. These are the ones that are likely to cut across what you're talking about.
    avoid getting an economic benefit from the work done by the volunteer.
    avoid having the volunteer do work which is integral to the business, that is, work that a full-time employee would ordinarily do.
    Here is the INZ page, https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ng-new-zealand, with mention of work experience being something that has a monetary value.

Great thank you so much! Will look into it more detail, don't want to get into trouble next week!