Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Changing job during SMC process

Quote Originally Posted by deverett View Post
    Thank you so much for checking that, it's positive news for us to know it's possible and the first positive news in a while, now I just need to land the better job to put it in place. I find it funny you can change it as the EOI was approved based on a certain skill, so I could change to a very different occupation as long as I tick the boxes, but hey I'll take it as the win it is for us.
    Yeah, it is a wee bit iffy if you look at it from the perspective of being invited to apply on one thing but then applying with something else. But if it works in your favour, seize it and run! And as an aside, the intent of SM6 is that, as long as the job you're in meets the criteria to be considered "skilled" (ie. you're paid the level required and have the skills from qual or work experience to do the job well), then the objective of the SMC is met (granting Residence to people who have skills to fill identified needs and opportunities in New Zealand, can transfer those skills to New Zealand and link with local needs and opportunities and are able to demonstrate an ability to contribute to and successfully settle in New Zealand.)

Quote Originally Posted by areddy View Post
    Hi Erin,

Would it be worth it to wait 3 months, and then send in the application to be linked (To be free from Section 49 conditions), or are we obligated to let them know at the earliest? And be subject to Section 49 conditions for sure.
    A complete job change (once all formalised with the employer) would be considered 'material information' and you're bound to advise INZ of any material information (that is, info which may affect your ability to meet instructions) as soon as practicable. If you're only just looking into a new job, then no need to advise INZ. But once you've signed on the dotted line, you should tell them about it.

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    Yeah, it is a wee bit iffy if you look at it from the perspective of being invited to apply on one thing but then applying with something else. But if it works in your favour, seize it and run! And as an aside, the intent of SM6 is that, as long as the job you're in meets the criteria to be considered "skilled" (ie. you're paid the level required and have the skills from qual or work experience to do the job well), then the objective of the SMC is met (granting Residence to people who have skills to fill identified needs and opportunities in New Zealand, can transfer those skills to New Zealand and link with local needs and opportunities and are able to demonstrate an ability to contribute to and successfully settle in New Zealand.)
    Last year I asked INZ twice over the phone if it was OK to change jobs while waiting on the SMC decision. One person told me what you just wrote above, and another one said it would depend on the branch [?].

Back then I was already looking into changing jobs (October 2019), but I decided to wait until my SMC resident application was completed to avoid having to go through market checks and applying for a new visa.

Now after waiting for 9 months for the residence that never comes, I regret not switching jobs when I had the chance.

Same here. After talking to 3 times with 3 different inz customer service agents and a meeting with an LIA, I was told that I can switch the job even after ITA lodgement. As long as it is skilled in terms of its substantial match with anzsco, meets salary threshold etc. all i was required to update inz with new job offer, new job agreement and a brief cover letter mentioning about this new job and requesting the new documents to be matched with your application docs.

Finally after almost 10 months of freezing my husband's new contract due to covid, he is officially working on the new contract now. Feel like a relief because he was having a three months and on going contract and we applied our SMC in Jan 2020. His new contract is a permanent position which is likely more secure for our SMC.

Timeline of Essential Skill Work Visa
    Lodgement date: 12th Jan 2021
    Submitted medical examination: 20th Jan
    Assigned to medical team: 31th Jan
    Approved: 11th Feb 2021

Thank you Jan, Erin and Kelerei for helping with my questions throughout the process.

Good news.

Hi, is me again, Esther. Can I please seek for some opinions regarding job changing. My husband is thinking to apply Auckland job however he claims the 30 points under out of Auckland category and our application lodged in Jan 2020. With changing job to Auckland, it will affect our points. Could we could claim some other points to fill 160 point after we lodged our application?

Thank you

If your husband is entitled to some other points, as listed here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66763.htm, and can give the evidence to prove this, to make up the difference, it will be possible for INZ to continue processing his application for Residence under SMC. It's a good idea to be careful about timing on this. INZ will probably want to see proof for the other points without delay once they are notified that he no longer has the 30 points for out-of-Auckland employment, so he should be ready for that.

On another matter, his Work Visa will almost certainly allow him to work only for his present employer at the present location, so if that's the case, he mustn't stop that work until he has a definite other job offer, and has arranged with INZ, once they have checked out the new job and verified that it meets his visa conditions, for either a Variation of Conditions, or a different work visa (depending on the details of the situation), to take over from the present visa. See here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...c-are-changing and here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...c-are-changing - one of those will probably apply. It would be illegal to start at a new job on the old visa, or to be still at the old job once a new visa has been issued, which is why INZ needs all the details of the notice period that has to be worked, and the wished-for start date of the new job, so as to co-ordinate things to keep him legal.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345