Thread: Permanent residency

Default Permanent residency

Hi,

I got my residency visa through my ex-partner in 2015 Jan. But we broke up 6 months ago.

Now we both can apply for our permanent residency as we held our residency visa for 2 years already and she is ok with applying together.

But i want to apply on my own.

As I went through immigration website and this forum i figured out as long as the principle applicant ( my ex-partner) has got her permanent residency, I will be able to apply for my PR too as a non-principle applicant.

So, the question is should I go and apply for my PR after her and put that I am single in my application form or should I apply with her as her partner??

If its 100% sure that I will get my PR even if applying on my own then I just want to apply on my own.

Thanks

There is provision for you to qualify for Permanent Residence in your own right in the event of the partnership splitting up. See RV1.20.1, here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45650.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    There is provision for you to qualify for Permanent Residence in your own right in the event of the partnership splitting up. See RV1.20.1, here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45650.htm
    providing "evidence of seperation" is often harder than providing evidence of living together!

It is perhaps worth saying that PR granted because your partner was main applicant (and therefore qualifies on behalf of the secondary applicant) is no less YOUR PR. It hasn't got any conditions or requirements attached to it.