Thread: Working remotely for NZ company from the UK

Default Working remotely for NZ company from the UK

Hi. Bit of a complex one this, but here goes...

Myself, my wife and our teenage daughter are in possession of Resident Visas with expired travel conditions (expired 3rd February 2017). We moved to NZ in September 2014 but hit a snag at the end of 2015/beginning of 2016 and returned to England.

We left our jobs, departed on 2nd February 2016 and we weren't in NZ when our travel conditions expired earlier this month.

Given that we did not spend the required 184 days in each 12-month period prior to expiry, we obviously can't apply for permanent residency. From what I can tell our only option is a 12-month extension, but due to our daughter's education, we will not be returning to NZ until July 2018 at the earliest, so this is a bit of a non-starter.

However, a new and intriguing development has come along and I was wondering if this would change anything? My old employers in NZ have offered me a role working remotely for them from the UK. I still have an NZ bank account for wages and they are setting me up as a new employee, meaning I will pay tax in NZ before claiming Foreign Tax Credit Relief thanks to the double taxation agreement between the two countries.

Would this in any way change our circumstances with regard to our situation? I'm vaguely aware of some secondment possibilities but my knowledge is seriously lacking any authority.

Any guidance would be gratefully accepted. Thanks for your time.

I've just found this as a post that I evidently didn't see at the time, so sorry for the long gap with no attention...

I believe you would have the perfect right to work remotely for the NZ employer, but I very much doubt that it would make any difference to your visa situation - assuming that you would have liked to keep your residence visas "live", without actually going back to live in NZ. The paragraphs on this page https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident, with the links off it from the text and in the side bar, show you the requirements for getting a variation of travel conditions or second or subsequent residence visa.