Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMC - skilled employment issue

Default SMC - skilled employment issue

Hello there my name is Sam,

I lodged in my ITA for SMC in Nov, at which I had been working for 9 months on a contract ended two days ago. (it was a 12 month contract with a university)

Now Im on my new contract which only spans from now (March) till mid December...

Based on what the manual says:

a. A principal applicant's current skilled employment in New Zealand for a period of at least twelve months qualifies for sixty points.
    b. A principal applicant's:
    i. offer of skilled employment in New Zealand; or
    ii. current skilled employment in New Zealand for a period of less than twelve months,
    qualifies for fifty points.

I guess I should be fine since I have been working for more than 12months in a skilled employment...

But if I look further about it having to be permanent: SM7.15

(b) Employment must be ongoing and sustainable. Ongoing and sustainable employment is:
    i. an offer of employment or current employment, with a single employer, that is permanent or indefinite, and of which the employer is in a position to meet the terms specified; or
    ii. an offer of employment or current employment with a single employer, for a stated term of at least 12 months; or
    iii. employment on a contract basis where the applicant:
    has a consistent history of contract work, and
    has a current contract for services, and
    INZ is satisfied that such contract work is likely to be sustained.

Given my current contract only lasts for 9.5 months, is it going to be a huge issue? (although I have been in skilled employment in NZ for 12 months)

I still haven't gotten my CO. Based on your experience, what are the chances I might get tripped over by my contract?

Thanks very much for your time

INZ are likely to want to be assured that there will be further contracts forthcoming, from the same employer or from others. It's the future that they look at. They want to know that if they grant residence, the resident will continue to be in employment, not left jobless.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    INZ are likely to want to be assured that there will be further contracts forthcoming, from the same employer or from others. It's the future that they look at. They want to know that if they grant residence, the resident will continue to be in employment, not left jobless.

Appreciate the reply

Just a follow up, do you know similar cases?

Would it be more convincing because it's an official employer I'm working for? Also if I have been in New Zealand since 14?

Thanks
    Sam

If the "official employer" gives you written evidence that there are likely to be future contracts forthcoming for you, that would help.

If you mean by "other such cases" people who haven't got more contracts ahead getting approved, then no, because it doesn't happen. If an application under SMC is to have any chance, you have to have something to show your future prospects. Despite what it says at SM7.15 b ii, INZ often refuse to grant residence to applicants with even only a 12-month contract in hand.

If the "official employer" gives you written evidence that there are likely to be future contracts forthcoming for you, that would help.

If you mean by "other such cases" people who haven't got more contracts ahead getting approved, then no, because it doesn't happen. If an application under SMC is to have any chance, you have to have something to show your future prospects. Despite what it says at SM7.15 b ii, INZ often refuse to grant residence to applicants with even only a 12-month contract in hand.
    Thanks for the reply, it's not looking good for me then I suppose...

Say if my employment doesn't qualify, and I still have more than 100 points after that from other aspects, will I still be granted residence?

Appreciate your help and knowledge!

It doesn't look good if you don't do something about providing some evidence of future prospects, no. Don't you have a network of contacts who can put out the word for you? What did you think would happen at the end of this contract if you hadn't got residence by then? You must have looked ahead, surely?

No, you can't be granted residence with only 100 points. Currently, 160 is the minimum for an EOI to be selected.

Maybe your employer might consider giving you a 12 month contract?

Quote Originally Posted by squowse View Post
    Maybe your employer might consider giving you a 12 month contract?
    They are currently trying to, but given the organisation I'm working for, it's quite an ask.

To Jan's advice, thanks and yes my employer is very happy to assist me with letters and anything he can do, so let's hope for the best!! (ITA lodged 9 Nov, CO not assigned yet)

Will possibly be convincing to hammer on the possibility of a new contract. ("how the contract will end")

Thanks everyone for your advice

Hi I have question? Can we claim 60 points for skilled employment for more than 12 months if We have worked for one skilled role for 1 year and got promoted for another skilled role and started working there but less than 12 months but with another employer but in total skill experience is mire than 12 months. Basicall I have worked as Disability services officer for 2 years and now if i get promoted to Residential care officer in new job sp can i claim 60 points????
    Please advise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast