Thread: Transition from Working Holiday to Permanent Work Visa (work to residency)

Exclamation Transition from Working Holiday to Permanent Work Visa (work to residency)

Hi!

I'm from Argentina, aged 34, currently living in Wellington, and I've been working as a temp in an accredited company in NZ. I have a Working Holiday Visa that only allows me to do temp/casual work.

The thing is that the company I am working for has offered me a permanent position for indefinite time as if I were planning to stay indefinitely here (which I am actually). I'll have the job offer in written and the contract next week and my paperwork is all ready and ok BUT! I am not sure if INZ is going to grant me with a work to residency visa or what kind of visa will I be able to apply... The company is willing to help me with the whole process and so; they were planning in giving me a contract for unlimited time (not a 2/5 years contract) but the thing is that my job position is not under any of the shortage lists or anything and I don't have a university degree (my job offer is based on my skills and experience).

Obviously HR department is aware of this situation and they are talking with my manager to explore my options (they are quite used to employ migrants luckily) and I am planning on going to INZ next week but I just wanted to know if any of you have had a similar experience and could help me check my options

Also, I am married and my husband is going to apply for a partnership visa. Do you know if he has to wait until I am granted with my visa or can we do the application together? He is a graduated Industrial Engineer from Argentina as well, hasn't got a job offer still mostly because IPENZ is giving us hard time with his degree equivalences and some companies have asked for the equivalences in NZ.... Do you think his degree and experience will be helpful for our work to residency visa in case I am so luckily to get one??

Thanks everybody!!! Cheers!

Paula

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...residence-visa An accredited employer can sponsor you for the visa at the link. Check the criteria. There is nothing there about needing to hold a qualification. Here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/empl...sa-application is what the employer has to do in order to sponsor you for this visa.

Your partner can apply for a partner of a NZ worker visa at the same time as your application. Link the applications with a covering letter, and it will be worked as one case. INZ will supply your visa number for his application and any other missing information when it becomes available. Notice, this application will depend ONLY on partnership proof (see these old threads for discussion and examples https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...ership+proof&*) - details of his qualifications and work experience are not required and are irrelevant.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...residence-visa An accredited employer can sponsor you for the visa at the link. Check the criteria. There is nothing there about needing to hold a qualification. Here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/empl...sa-application is what the employer has to do in order to sponsor you for this visa.

Your partner can apply for a partner of a NZ worker visa at the same time as your application. Link the applications with a covering letter, and it will be worked as one case. INZ will supply your visa number for his application and any other missing information when it becomes available. Notice, this application will depend ONLY on partnership proof (see these old threads for discussion and examples https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...ership+proof&*) - details of his qualifications and work experience are not required and are irrelevant.

Thanks for your reply JandM!! Really helpful!
    I am now trying to get my criminal records certificate (I don't know if that is the correct name for it hehe!) from Argentina with our Embassy, they said it takes quite a long time and what it is not clear to me is if I have to submit every paper altogether with my application or if I can submit the app online and go on uploading the documents since this certificate is the only document that I am missing (and because for my previous WH Visa I presented medical evidence and so as INZ requested it)
    I went today to INZ here in Wellington, and they told me that my husband should wait to submit his application until mine is ok... They also told me about how they match our info and all that but weird they didn't mention the cover letter, that's really helpful!! Do you know what to include in that letter? Do I have to attach it to my application or does he have to attache it to his? Is it there when we present our marriage certificate??
    Im going to INZ again on Monday but I would like to have some more info/tips such as the cover letter one so I can ask them better questions so thank you!!!!
    Cheers,
    Paula

You can't submit the application without the police certificate or any other required piece of evidence - an incomplete application can just be rejected.

I mention the cover letter linking applications on the say-so of ChrisMwn the LIA, so I don't myself know the details. Chris, can you help here?

People on the INZ phone lines and front desks aren't case working officers. They normally work from a data base, and as you know, what you call up on the computer depends quite a lot on what key words you put in. What I'm saying is, you can't rely on their necessarily having all the answers. For anything except the simplest questions, you may need to ask to be seen by a supervisor. (But I'm thinking, you may not need to be in much of a hurry to go back, since you're waiting for your police certificate.)