Thread: Police certificate for foreigners from China

Default Police certificate for foreigners from China

Hi guys,

Has anyone ever received a police certificate for the time spent in China on a family type residence permit?
    When I was submitting my docs for SMC in May I wrote a long letter about my unsuccessful attempts to get it due to Chinese burocracy and failed systems, it seems that at a time they were satisfied with it and asked me to provide a statuary declaration, which I did. Today I have received an email from CO, requesting me to provide not one but two. One from local police office and another from notary public. INZ website also says "
    If you are a foreign national living in this country

Apply first to the local Public Security Bureau or Vice Squad where you lived for a Police Clearance Letter. Apply to the Notary Office to get the letter notarised.

If you are a foreign national and have lived in this country in the past

Apply to the Notary Office with your documentation. You can give authority to someone else to act on your behalf, but you must provide a letter authorising them to act for you."

That's where problems start all over again. My wife called Public Security Bureau in Shanghai and the hotline said they do not do any certificates. She called local police office, spoke with a chief officer there, he even called his management, and they do not do certificates for foreigners. Then we called Shanghai notary public, they do certificates for foreigners but they need letter from company you have worked at in china declaring that you don't have any criminal records. I didn't work, family type residence permit doesn't grant working privileges. So they say you can ask someone to bring copies of your passport and hope that the receptionist might accept it but cannot guarantee anything which makes total non sense. I am literally hitting the wall with my head. CO asks for one, somewhere on the websites it says as long as you had residence permit you shall have one, but in reality I can't get any.
    Exactly the same replies I had almost a year ago. Except at that time back then even notary couldn't do it, because their system connecting to exit and entry administration was down.

Has anyone tried to use agencies searchable on google, which claim they can pact on your behalf and provide you with one for a fee? 600$ or something like this, while the actual certificate fee is $20 + another $30 for shipping. I am just cautious, it's not uncommon tgere in to have your money taken without providing the actual service. Furthermore I am afraid whether it might be fake, as I really don't understand how can one person get something in an honest way while another can not, if it's a public service, not some inside.

I wrote email to CO describing all this, but it's Friday night, so all I get is a very worried weekend

I don't know anything to help you, but am expressing sympathy. Here's hoping there is someone on the forum who can share some experience.

My partner is from Shanghai, she found your situation unusual but from what she is aware what you have tried so far is in line with how one would normally go about it. I also hope someone can help more

Thank you guys!

I had a very similar problem & received the same reply from my CO as yourself...

My girlfriend & I both lived in China as 'foreigners' & this 'Police Certificate' caused me untold grief at the time of issue & again now for a resident visa in NZ.

At the time it was nigh-on impossible to get issued, as the city I lived in was very small & they had never issued such a document. Long story short, my employers used their 'connections' & we finally got one sorted. It required my employers to state that I didn't commit any crime etc, this was then taken to the police station, they wrote the same text on a new document & stamped it & then I took it to a notary office. It cost 200RMB & it was approved & translated etc.

I recently applied for my resident visa & this came up again, this time it was my partner's Chinese police certificate. INZ wanted to see that she hadn't committed a crime in China etc. Unfortunately her certificate is no longer current, nor is mine, but because it was submitted with a previous work visa, it is valid (they have a 24month shelf life). Anyway, we submitted her certificate & everything was fine, until about 3 weeks ago. The CO contacted me & asked that we attempt to obtain a current certificate for her. This is unfortunately impossible in our situation as we do not know anyone in the city, or have contact with anyone at her previous job. I sent a couple of emails off to friends asking for assistance, they could not help. In the end, I submitted these emails from friends & a new Character Waiver form stating that this document was impossible for us to get, unless we went back to China!!!

The CO said he had received the documents & the application had gone to be validated by a second person, so I'm guessing the info I provided was either sufficient to grant the visa, or decline it. It has been with the second person check for just over two weeks, so I'm hoping to hear something soon.

Hope this maybe helps your situation. I certainly understand how frustrating it must be for you.
    Last edited by Stuart-W; 7th March 2017 at 07:55 PM.

Hi guys,
    also a question about China PCC - was anyone required to get this for simple work visa, not for residence class visa?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart-W View Post
    I had a very similar problem & received the same reply from my CO as yourself...

My girlfriend & I both lived in China as 'foreigners' & this 'Police Certificate' caused me untold grief at the time of issue & again now for a resident visa in NZ.

At the time it was nigh-on impossible to get issued, as the city I lived in was very small & they had never issued such a document. Long story short, my employers used their 'connections' & we finally got one sorted. It required my employers to state that I didn't commit any crime etc, this was then taken to the police station, they wrote the same text on a new document & stamped it & then I took it to a notary office. It cost 200RMB & it was approved & translated etc.

I recently applied for my resident visa & this came up again, this time it was my partner's Chinese police certificate. INZ wanted to see that she hadn't committed a crime in China etc. Unfortunately her certificate is no longer current, nor is mine, but because it was submitted with a previous work visa, it is valid (they have a 24month shelf life). Anyway, we submitted her certificate & everything was fine, until about 3 weeks ago. The CO contacted me & asked that we attempt to obtain a current certificate for her. This is unfortunately impossible in our situation as we do not know anyone in the city, or have contact with anyone at her previous job. I sent a couple of emails off to friends asking for assistance, they could not help. In the end, I submitted these emails from friends & a new Character Waiver form stating that this document was impossible for us to get, unless we went back to China!!!

The CO said he had received the documents & the application had gone to be validated by a second person, so I'm guessing the info I provided was either sufficient to grant the visa, or decline it. It has been with the second person check for just over two weeks, so I'm hoping to hear something soon.

Hope this maybe helps your situation. I certainly understand how frustrating it must be for you.
    Don't understand this sometimes. If u haven't been back to China since last obtained a police clearance, why would u need it again in futher applications? I went through the same of having to obtain PCC 2 times but thankfully not with China. Good luck everyone.