Thread: Photocopy of Work Visa Permit/Passport - Applying for work

Default Photocopy of Work Visa Permit/Passport - Applying for work

Hi everyone. I have recently received my work visa permit which is valid only for 8 months instead of 12 months (18 February 2017 - 14 October 2017) since my overseas passport will expire on 14 November of this year. I have also applied for renewal of my passport last week in which it takes 6 weeks to ship it. In addition, I have photocopied and certified my passport by Justice of Piece (JP) to prove that it's genuine or authentic.

I'm not familiar about the work process here in New Zealand and my concern is when I apply for work, especially in Trade Industry, they might not accept my photocopy of work visa permit? I went to AA earlier to convert my overseas license and to take a theory test and they did not honor my photocopied passport even though it has already been certified by JP. I know the main reason is to prevent fraudulent of identity but I have already supplied overseas license and other supporting documents to prove that they are not fake.

I just called IRD and asked similar questions with regard to supplying documents and they said a photocopy my passport will suffice to apply for IRD number. If I have to wait for my actual passport, I might get it last week of this month or April which is too long. I still have to go to Immigration afterward and have my renewed passport stamped with work visa permit.

Overall, I just want to work legally here; however I don't have my actual passport with me but only a certified true copy of my passport/work visa. Any help is appreciated.

Hi There

Any employer can check your visa status as long as they have registered themselves with immigration's visa view page. So as long as you have a photocopy of your work visa, actual passport and IRD number. You should be able to apply for jobs. I don't think it should be an issue. Only depends how you see the glass half empty or half full. You can also create an online account with immigration website, where you can show them (your employer) that your application was approved etc...

If I was you I would apply for all jobs, whenever I go to an interview show them my cv, experience docs, educational docs, photocopy of my work visa and passport etc.

Note: this is not an immigration advice or any legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonearl View Post
    Hi everyone. I have recently received my work visa permit which is valid only for 8 months instead of 12 months (18 February 2017 - 14 October 2017) since my overseas passport will expire on 14 November of this year. I have also applied for renewal of my passport last week in which it takes 6 weeks to ship it. In addition, I have photocopied and certified my passport by Justice of Piece (JP) to prove that it's genuine or authentic.

I'm not familiar about the work process here in New Zealand and my concern is when I apply for work, especially in Trade Industry, they might not accept my photocopy of work visa permit? I went to AA earlier to convert my overseas license and to take a theory test and they did not honor my photocopied passport even though it has already been certified by JP. I know the main reason is to prevent fraudulent of identity but I have already supplied overseas license and other supporting documents to prove that they are not fake.

I just called IRD and asked similar questions with regard to supplying documents and they said a photocopy my passport will suffice to apply for IRD number. If I have to wait for my actual passport, I might get it last week of this month or April which is too long. I still have to go to Immigration afterward and have my renewed passport stamped with work visa permit.

Overall, I just want to work legally here; however I don't have my actual passport with me but only a certified true copy of my passport/work visa. Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonearl View Post

Not sure if things have changed, but for IRD number Post Shop do need to see original passport to very authenticity of photocopy, at least that's what they did to me.

Thank you all for your responses. Hopefully my certified photocopy of my passport/work permit will suffice to apply for an IRD number and jobs. Otherwise, I will just have to wait for my original passport. Thanks again!