Thread: Moving to Auckland

Default Moving to Auckland

Hi All, hopefully will be moving to Auckland and was looking around the area however am very clueless as to which Suburb would suit me. I was hoping to move somewhere which is quiet and has a town like feel and is safe enough to raise a family. I was hoping to find a good size property with alot of Garden Space & maybe shoreside access with very good views (Ideally of either the City Skyline and/or the Islands) and nearby access to shops & ideally a quick commute from the City (ideally anywhere up to 40 Minutes, however am willing if the property is right to travel a bit further). Money is no object. Would be very grateful for any help don't worry about specific properties a generalised area as to were I could fine these would be fine, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers4Life View Post
    Money is no object.
    That's good, because meeting all your requirements will be very expensive in Auckland! For a start, you might look at Devonport or Waiheke (commute by ferry), Takapuna and East Coast Bays, Mission Bay/ St Heliers, St Marys Bay/ Herne Bay/ Westmere.

Haha, agreed. That's one expensive requirements list! I've jsut moved up to Auckland myself - Bay of Plenty was a little too quiet for my liking - and I'll be living over by Mission Bay / Whangaparaoa. Looks like a great area, though I'll be renting rather than buying (still too expensive!). Might be worth a look.

Takapuna, Hauraki, Brown's bay, Mairangi bay are all good options IMHO for family friendly lifestyle and reasonable commuting time to CBD. I use the bus from near Takapuna and I am usually at work in about 20 mins. Devonport is a good, but probably more expensive option, with the ferry being pretty convenient.

Money better really be no object! You're looking at a couple of million to fulfill those requirements in Auckland. OregonKiwi has hit the nail on the head pretty much, all along from Mission Bay up to St. Heliers (it's where I'd live if money was no object) You could definitely also check out Howick, has a village feel, very safe, nice beaches, lots of ocean views if you have the money... only downside is the commute will be a little longer to the city, although my brother does it every day. I grew up in Torbay (also another very good option, just up from Browns Bay, in fact, the whole of the East Coast Bays), then Takapuna, then Howick and we loved all three areas... very expensive though, you need millions.

We're returning to NZ at the end of the month and are steering clear of Auckland! It's just changed too much. Trying to head for the Hawkes Bay.

Just a heads up, Mission Bay and Whangaparaoa are completely different places Whangaparaoa will be much cheaper, but much further away