Thread: Student Visa - When will i be allowed to enter NZ after visa has been granted

Default Student Visa - When will i be allowed to enter NZ after visa has been granted

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how soon i can travel to NZ once the student visa has been granted ? (How many weeks before the course start date)

Any help would be muchly appreciated !

Regards,
    sina1308

You can enter as soon as the visa is granted (next day) once you have the e-visa, or visa label.

Thank you for your quick reply ChrisMwn !!
    Do you know if there is any limit on how far in advance you can apply for a student visa ?
    e.g. if my course was supposed to start in February next year could I apply for a student visa now or do I have to wait until for example 3 months prior to the course start date ?

Im not sure that INZ has any specific instructions on how early an application can be made, but it would require the "offer of a plkace" and fee receipt, so the institution may not want to do that until they are dealing with 2018 students.
    INZ might also not asses you as having a genuine intent if you are seeking to enter too early. You also have to show you had sufficient funds for the time before the start of the course?

I'd think that applying after August, for a February entry would be accepted, allowing also for processing time.

Are you eligible for a working holiday visa? Why don't you use that first?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    Are you eligible for a working holiday visa? Why don't you use that first?
    Thank you for your reply and the information.
    I am planning on starting my studies in July this year and was just curious about the date immigration would let me in.
    I was just worried that I might have trouble with my application and then wont have enough time left to get into the July course. Most institutions only offer intakes in either February or July so I was just making sure I know what to do if anything goes wrong.
    Thank you for your help, i appreciate it !

Quote Originally Posted by sina1308 View Post
    Thank you for your reply and the information.
    I am planning on starting my studies in July this year and was just curious about the date immigration would let me in.
    I was just worried that I might have trouble with my application and then wont have enough time left to get into the July course. Most institutions only offer intakes in either February or July so I was just making sure I know what to do if anything goes wrong.
    Thank you for your help, i appreciate it !
    Sometimes visa are also issued with a "first entry before date" which sometimes is one months, other times 3 months.
    It seems now would be a good time to apply, if you need to start course in July.
    INZ are likely to take some time, as they are currently dealing with annual paek of applications for 2017 year, with most student visas having a 31 March expiry date.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    Sometimes visa are also issued with a "first entry before date" which sometimes is one months, other times 3 months.
    INZ are likely to take some time, as they are currently dealing with annual paek of applications for 2017 year, with most student visas having a 31 March expiry date.
    Thats good to know thank you !
    So in case the visa is issued with this 'first entry before date', does that mean that if I enter too late the visa will be cancelled ?
    I got the problem, that I need to return to Australia first to get all my belongings that I left there a few months ago. I would then like to continue to NZ from there to start my studies.