Thread: Student visa - mention intentions of living in Australia after studies ?

Default Student visa - mention intentions of living in Australia after studies ?

Hi everyone,

I would like to apply for a NZ student visa.
    However, I am not sure if I will be considered to be a genuine student on account of my previous australian visa history.
    Let me explain. I have been living and working in Australia for the past four years.
    I had to withdraw my last visa so that I had to return to my home country Germany.
    I then applied for an Australian student visa a few months later. This visa was refused because the case officer didnt belive i was a genuine student. Now I am trying to apply for a student visa for NZ.
    My plan is to live in Australia permanently one day. To do so I am in need of some formal qualifications,(to get a work visa), that i tried to obtain with the help of the student visa. But now that the student visa was refused i decided to try to get the qualification in NZ. After completing my qualification in NZ i would like to apply for a 187 australian work visa to return to Australia.

My question is should I mention all this to INZ ?

Or do you think its best not to talk about Australia and to concentrate on the fact that i would like to study in NZ instead ?
    On the one side, I am afraid that immigration might refuse the student visa because they might not like the idea that the whole intention of my study is to leave NZ at the end of the course to live in Australia.
    But on the other side, i think it might be a good thing to mention it because it would show that im not intending to stay in NZ after completing the course. this would show my intentions to just study rather than trying to use the visa to work or only to get permanent residency afterwards.
    Can INZ have a look at my application for the australian student visa and can they view the refusal decison record ? Will my australian visa history influence the decisions made by INZ ?
    I am worried that NZ immigration wont give me the visa because they did have a look at my refusal and say that they dont believe im a genuine student just like the australian immigration did. They might also just say that I can study this course anywhere else in the world and might therefore refuse the application.

Do you think I got any chance of getting a NZ student visa ?

As you can see, I am in a big conflict at the moment and would really need some advice please.
    Any help would be muchly appreciated !

Regards,
    sina1308

You must disclose your previous visa refusal for Australia, To not do so would mean that you were priving false and misleading information in your NZ application.

INZ may have access to basic Au visa information, and you will most likely need to provide a full explanation of the reasons fro refusal in Australai.
    INZ will only be concerned with regard to your bona fides for NZ, and that you will comply with the terms of any visa granted.
    They wont be interested that one day you may want to live in Australia

Thanks again for your help ChrisMwn.
    I was planning on writing a statement where I would like to explain why I want to study in NZ, why I chose this specific course, reasons for leaving NZ after the studies and why I should be considered a genuine applicant. I would like to attach this statement to my student visa application.
    I am not quite sure if this is a must do like for the australian student visa ?
    Anyway I would like to do it just in case.
    So you reckon I should include my plans of living in Australia, after the studies are finished, in this statement ?
    I do understand what you said and that I have to tell them about any previous refusals and not to give them any false information.
    When writing about my reasons why i will leave NZ after the studies (to satisfy the genuine student requirement) I could mention that i have friends in Australia and a person willing to sponsor me on the 187 visa. ( which i really do )
    I am just worried that they might say that this intention of living in australia would demonstarte that my australian student visa application didnt have genuine intentions because i planned on staying in australia for longer from the start. This might be a reason for a refusal for them.
    What are your thoughts on this if I may ask ?
    Any help would be muchly appreciated !

were you denied entry/refused a visa for Australia?

You need to declare that, on each and every NZ visa application you make. You should provide an explanation as you are saying , but don't overthink it. deal with the facts.
    INZ wont be concerned about your intentions to live in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    were you denied entry/refused a visa for Australia?
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes my student visa for Australia has been refused a few months ago.
    The main reasons for the refusal were that they believed i had been in Australia for too long already (almost 4 years) and that they therfore do not believe that my intentions as student were genuine. They also said that they dont believe that I would be willing to pay such a high fee for a course and travel such a long way when i could just study the same course in Germany.
    I hope this refusal wont have any bad influence on my NZ student visa application ?