Thread: work experience as a cook in a small restaurant oversea

Default work experience as a cook in a small restaurant oversea

Hi,

My husband has been working as a cook for 1 year in New Zealand, he also had worked as a chef for a small restaurant in Vietnam for a year and a half. Is it consider as recognised work experience since his previous employer was a small business? if so would a letter confirming his responsibilities be enough? he was paid in cash and he lost all of the payslips.

Also, another thing that we are concerning about is he has never mentioned about is working history as a cook in his previous visa applications, wonder if provided a reference letter, that experience still counts?

We are working on our possibility of applying for residency under SMC as a cook when he reaches 3 years experience, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your replying.

I actually have read through the whole SM11.10.

Under SM11.10.10 it states "Work experience is relevant to a principal applicant's offer of skilled employment in New Zealand if an employer considers, and an immigration officer is satisfied that the work experience is directly applicable to the employment offered". Since he has a job offer, and that experience from his previous cooking job is very useful for the current cooking job. In this case, I think the previous experience still counts even though it wasn't in comparable market, is that right?

If so, would a reference letter be enough?

Many thanks